• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AppleTalk printing - anyone with experience?

Babar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I had some guys come in today and they were clueless.. we sat there for an hour trying to figure out what to do, consulted Epson guides and OS X guides... I think it's because it's an older model that we can't get it to work right.. it's about 3 years old.

The printer sharing is incredibly easy, as noted. I re-went through the steps to share the printer many times, but unfortunately I still cannot access the postscript options. Either we need to set up a print server through AirPort, or get a new printer, unfortunately.

Did you try adding the printer using its CUPS driver in Printer Setup Utility?

Brian SD

Reaction score
no I'll give that a shot.

TS, dont devil face this thread! Windows doesn't even have drivers for the tuff I need.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
TS, dont devil face this thread! Windows doesn't even have drivers for the tuff I need.
You are an idiot. Of course it does, you are just computer illiterate. Windows Server has come with PS drivers since at least 2003. But of course, you are trying to set up a wireless OSX print server, which of course I am unfamiliar with, and business networking (at least in the past) has never really been Apple's strongsuit, so you are pretty much on your own. For windows, you just need the following three files.The driver is Pscript5.dll, Ps5ui.dll is the configuration file, and then you'd need the manufacturer's printer driver or .ppd file. The last one is the only one you would probably need to d/l in a corporate setting, and you can get it from the manufacturer of the printer, or the printer install disk. Just in case anyone with a REAL computer ever runs into this problem, its pretty easy to solve.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I set up PS on Windoze just fine. I had to download drivers from adobe and tinker with a setting or two, but it worked just fine. Once you've had a PS printer with an ethernet interface, you can never go back.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
You are an idiot. Of course it does, you are just computer illiterate. Windows Server has come with PS drivers since at least 2003. But of course, you are trying to set up a wireless OSX print server, which of course I am unfamiliar with, and business networking (at least in the past) has never really been Apple's strongsuit, so you are pretty much on your own. For windows, you just need the following three files.The driver is Pscript5.dll, Ps5ui.dll is the configuration file, and then you'd need the manufacturer's printer driver or .ppd file. The last one is the only one you would probably need to d/l in a corporate setting, and you can get it from the manufacturer of the printer, or the printer install disk. Just in case anyone with a REAL computer ever runs into this problem, its pretty easy to solve.
You obviously don't even know the specific details of what I'm talking about, so I'm going to ignore your ridiculous insults and irrelevant information. Just don't even bother clicking on any thread that involves Mac/Apple cause you obviously can't stop yourself from just coming and ******** the place up. I shouldn't even bother entertaining this ****, but we already have a PC comp set up with the post script capabilities, on our not Apple-based WIRED connection. It does NOT have the right drivers for exactly what my office needs. The Windows drivers for our printer has very limited options for print settings and color management.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You obviously don't even know the specific details of what I'm talking about, so I'm going to ignore your ridiculous insults and irrelevant information. Just don't even bother clicking on any thread that involves Mac/Apple cause you obviously can't stop yourself from just coming and ******** the place up.
Well if there are specific details that would prevent you from using PS on windows for what "your office needs" you haven't posted them in this thread, so how am I supposed to know? I pretty thouroughly read this thread, and saw no reason, other than your fanboyism, that Windows isn't capable of doing the same exact thing you are trying to make the Apple do. Everything you posted, PS, wireless networking, shared printing, pretty easy to do on a PC. Maybe you are running proprietary Mac software, but you never said anything about that, so stick a sock in it chump. You are the one who makes these threads ****** with your fallacious anti-PC propaganda. I'm just here to correct you.
I shouldn't even bother entertaining this ****, but we already have a PC comp set up with the post script capabilities, on our not Apple-based WIRED connection. It does NOT have the right drivers for exactly what my office needs.
Again, without telling anyone what your "office needs" nobody here is going to be able to offer you anything but vague suggestions. You are obviously not communicating the problem very well because wireless networking of a shared PS printer is, again, relatively easy.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Well if there are specific details that would prevent you from using PS on windows for what "your office needs" you haven't posted them in this thread, so how am I supposed to know? I pretty thouroughly read this thread, and saw no reason, other than your fanboyism, that Windows isn't capable of doing the same exact thing you are trying to make the Apple do. Everything you posted, PS, wireless networking, shared printing, pretty easy to do on a PC. Maybe you are running proprietary Mac software, but you never said anything about that, so stick a sock in it chunp. You are the one who makes these threads ****** with your fallacious anti-PC propaganda. I'm just here to correct you.
For what you admit you don't know, you sure don't have a problem assuming everything and throwing out insults. The "fanboyism" comment is seriously funny ****. You really have no idea what you're talking about these days. Windows' drivers for the printer doesn't have all of the printing options and color management that is required for the kind of archival prints we use. You are not welcome in this thread, you're just being a dumbass. Next time you try and "correct" somebody, you might want to know what the **** you're talking about.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For what you admit you don't know, you sure don't have a problem assuming everything and throwing out insults. The "fanboyism" comment is seriously funny ****. You really have no idea what you're talking about these days. Windows' drivers for the printer doesn't have all of the printing options and color management that is required for the kind of archival prints we use. You are not welcome in this thread, you're just being a dumbass. Next time you try and "correct" somebody, you might want to know what the **** you're talking about.
If I am not welcome in this thread, put me in time out. Plus, your apple drivers don't contain printing options or color management either. Device drivers don't contain that sort of information at all, they are merely a collection of commands and virtual objects that your OS uses to communicate with your printer. All it does is allow your computer to contact the device you are trying to use, tell it to recieve data, and operate. It doesn't contain any user alterable profiles or preferences. Next time you get pissed off because I correct you, maybe you should know what the **** you are talking about.
smile.gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try to use Windows, normally printing is only one click away...

Brian SD

Reaction score
Haha.. ahh okay. Whatever guys. I can't believe I ask a simple question and I have to sit here and take flames and argue back.

We *have* a Windows PC wired to the same printer, with postscript options on. We also have a Mac wired to it - the two computers share a connection on a USB switch. Both of the computers can access the postscript options, but OS X does a much better job of it. The Windows options are dumbed down to only a couple simplified settings. Even the designer who uses the PC always transfers his files to the Mac to print because the color management is screwy on the Windows machine and the prints never look the same as they do on screen or between different paper types. We've had several tech guys come in to update it because for some reason my company restricts permissions on the PCs but not the Macs, and every time they come in, it's the same story.

And I can guarantee you that there are specifics written into the OS drivers that tell the printer what to do. I have had to make several driver updates (not firmware) to support the new paper that Epson is putting out.

The only constant between the two OSes is the software-side printer managing tools (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat), but even then the PC sometimes has settings in the wrong places. No idea why Adobe made them different, but they did.

Either way, I really don't care. Even if for some reason I was so masochistic that I wanted to set up the PC to print, I still wouldn't be able to since I can't modify anything on it, while I CAN make admin changes to the Mac. I asked an incredibly simple question, and I believe the answer is that I'm going to have to either split the connection to the printer three ways, or set up a print server for the Epson. Since my boss doesn't believe in technology, it will probably be the former.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads