• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apple TV- New version (no HD), anyone buy one yet?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering. I was thinking of picking one up, mainly to stream music through my TV and content I got from Itunes.

another is to login to flickr from my TV.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the older version but haven't seen the new one in stores yet. The new version has Netflix streaming which is a plus but I am not sure what selection and download speeds are like. On the older version downloading HD movies takes forever. The picture in 1080p is great. No question.
The main reason I bought it was to play music as I have all of my music in lossless on itunes/AppleTV. From there my ATV is connected to my AV receiver through hdmi cable. The sound is great.

jenlain

Reaction score
I picked up one recently and use it for streaming music via musical fidelity v-dac. Sounds great with apple lossless files. Neflix looks great as well. Certainly worth $99.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your opinions about possibly replacing cable with this? I heard the television selection was pretty limited.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds useless without a HD. How are you supposed to download and play stuff?

jenlain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLay87
What are your opinions about possibly replacing cable with this? I heard the television selection was pretty limited.

I don't have cable and am very happy with this as an alternative. Netflix streaming is my primary source of entertainment. Looks pretty good at 720p.

jenlain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
It sounds useless without a HD. How are you supposed to download and play stuff?

you don't need to download anything. It is a streaming device. You can always purchase things on itunes (download to your computer) and play on the device via airplay.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the old one which I sold just before the new one was announced. I'm still wondering about the new one as the PS3 is supposed to get excellent 1080P Netflix support next week.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have cable and am very happy with this as an alternative. Netflix streaming is my primary source of entertainment. Looks pretty good at 720p.
I have Netflix already so this doesn't tell me much. If I was just going to use it for Netflix I'd just use my Xbox. So again, what about the selection on AppleTV itself?

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLay87
I have Netflix already so this doesn't tell me much. If I was just going to use it for Netflix I'd just use my Xbox. So again, what about the selection on AppleTV itself?

open itunes and check out their movies/tv shows. kind of redundant to have to rent stuff from them if you already have netflix, though. i suppose it would be nice for instant gratification on something you don't want to wait for/can't stream.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, netflix streaming options are terrible except for the American Pie sequels! I have netflix on my ps3 and built into my TV. I do buy some stuff from itunes, I was going to buy but haven't had time to hit up the apple store.

I might get two of them, one for living room and one for the bedroom. wonder how that will work out.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought and set it up, really east setup. Works great!

teacha.gif

can't believe its only 100 bucks.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jenlain
you don't need to download anything. It is a streaming device. You can always purchase things on itunes (download to your computer) and play on the device via airplay.

but if you don't want to purchase through itunes, the box is useless. You can't download your own stuff, save it on the box, and view.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
Just bought and set it up, really east setup. Works great!

teacha.gif

can't believe its only 100 bucks.

You should meet Steve Jobs in person...his charisma is indescribable. He could sell the Apple TV for $999 and we'd still love it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads