Apple TV- New version (no HD), anyone buy one yet?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Xericx, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

Just wondering. I was thinking of picking one up, mainly to stream music through my TV and content I got from Itunes.

another is to login to flickr from my TV.

2. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

I have the older version but haven't seen the new one in stores yet. The new version has Netflix streaming which is a plus but I am not sure what selection and download speeds are like. On the older version downloading HD movies takes forever. The picture in 1080p is great. No question.
    The main reason I bought it was to play music as I have all of my music in lossless on itunes/AppleTV. From there my ATV is connected to my AV receiver through hdmi cable. The sound is great.

3. jenlain

jenlain Senior member

I picked up one recently and use it for streaming music via musical fidelity v-dac. Sounds great with apple lossless files. Neflix looks great as well. Certainly worth $99.

4. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

What are your opinions about possibly replacing cable with this? I heard the television selection was pretty limited.

5. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

It sounds useless without a HD. How are you supposed to download and play stuff?

6. jenlain

jenlain Senior member

What are your opinions about possibly replacing cable with this? I heard the television selection was pretty limited.

I don't have cable and am very happy with this as an alternative. Netflix streaming is my primary source of entertainment. Looks pretty good at 720p.

7. jenlain

jenlain Senior member

It sounds useless without a HD. How are you supposed to download and play stuff?

you don't need to download anything. It is a streaming device. You can always purchase things on itunes (download to your computer) and play on the device via airplay.

8. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I had the old one which I sold just before the new one was announced. I'm still wondering about the new one as the PS3 is supposed to get excellent 1080P Netflix support next week.

9. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I have Netflix already so this doesn't tell me much. If I was just going to use it for Netflix I'd just use my Xbox. So again, what about the selection on AppleTV itself?

10. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

I have Netflix already so this doesn't tell me much. If I was just going to use it for Netflix I'd just use my Xbox. So again, what about the selection on AppleTV itself?

open itunes and check out their movies/tv shows. kind of redundant to have to rent stuff from them if you already have netflix, though. i suppose it would be nice for instant gratification on something you don't want to wait for/can't stream.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Meh. Netflix sucks for anything recent and you can't use it to stream your torrent shows.

12. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

yeah, netflix streaming options are terrible except for the American Pie sequels! I have netflix on my ps3 and built into my TV. I do buy some stuff from itunes, I was going to buy but haven't had time to hit up the apple store.

I might get two of them, one for living room and one for the bedroom. wonder how that will work out.

13. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

Just bought and set it up, really east setup. Works great!

[​IMG]

can't believe its only 100 bucks.

14. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

you don't need to download anything. It is a streaming device. You can always purchase things on itunes (download to your computer) and play on the device via airplay.

but if you don't want to purchase through itunes, the box is useless. You can't download your own stuff, save it on the box, and view.

15. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Just bought and set it up, really east setup. Works great!

[​IMG]

can't believe its only 100 bucks.

You should meet Steve Jobs in person...his charisma is indescribable. He could sell the Apple TV for $999 and we'd still love it.