Apple Overtakes Microsoft in Market Value

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, May 26, 2010.

1. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Shareholders reward companies that take good care of their customers and innovate:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64P5PE20100526

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Not really a big surprise, after all, they manufacture both software and hardware, MS on the other hand doesn't (keyboards and mice don't count).

On a side note I love how Apple, which is number 2 on the S&P has revenues of $42.91 Billion, whereas number 1, ExxonMobil has revenues of $310 Billion.

3. A Y

A Y Senior member

Shareholders reward companies that take good care of their customers and innovate:

More likely, irrational exuberance is still alive and well.

--Andre

4. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Not really a big surprise, after all, they manufacture both software and hardware, MS on the other hand doesn't (keyboards and mice don't count).

On a side note I love how Apple, which is number 2 on the S&P has revenues of $13.5 Billion, whereas number 1, ExxonMobil has revenues of $310 Billion.

"As of Wednesday, Wall Street valued Apple at $222.12 billion and Microsoft at $219.18 billion. The only American company valued higher is Exxon Mobil, with a market capitalization of $278.64 billion."

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

More likely, irrational exuberance is still alive and well. --Andre
    +1 On a side note, Yesterday I told a co-worker that his Mighty Mouse was too goddamn loud. It sounded like he was sharpening a knife on his desk. He agreed and apologetically switched to a non-Apple wireless mouse. 500% quieter. [​IMG]

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

"As of Wednesday, Wall Street valued Apple at $222.12 billion and Microsoft at $219.18 billion. The only American company valued higher is Exxon Mobil, with a market capitalization of $278.64 billion."

Yes, but I was talking about the revenue disparity between the two companies, not the market cap.

7. bkk

bkk Senior member

What about Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices business? This includes the Xbox and Zune. If anything, I find it astonishing that Apple has a fraction of the SKUs of MS and is making more money. Kudos to them.

8. Artisan Fan

More likely, irrational exuberance is still alive and well.

--Andre

I think there is some truth to this, however it's hard to ignore the fact that currently the Street values the future prospects of Apple more than Microsoft.

Even though I like both firms, you have to admit Apple has a much higher success rate in bringing innovative products, some in which they create the market....think of iPod and iTunesfor downloadable music and the iPad for print and magazine subscriptions. Interestingly in both cases others arrived first but Apple has a better device and product and likely to get over time in the ipad, just like they did in music, more of the content providers.

9. haganah

haganah Senior member

I don't care how great Apple products are, you cannot in all honesty sit in front of me and rationalize this by ignoring the tangible realities of what Apple doesn't have in its hands currently (and Microsoft does) while focusing on an wholly unpredictable, pie in the sky growth rate.

10. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

The second Steve Jobs goes down, Apple is going in the toilet.

11. oman

oman Senior member

that'll be interesting to see huh

i doubt it'll be an instant (or even inevitable) fall, but their "culture of innovation" will almost definitely deteriorate

12. ama

ama Senior member

The second Steve Jobs goes down, Apple is going in the toilet.

Unlikely

13. oman

oman Senior member

let a man dream

14. Artisan Fan

I don't care how great Apple products are, you cannot in all honesty sit in front of me and rationalize this by ignoring the tangible realities of what Apple doesn't have in its hands currently (and Microsoft does) while focusing on an wholly unpredictable, pie in the sky growth rate.

What exactly does Microsoft have in its hands besides an O/S?

15. A Y

A Y Senior member

I like how Apple does things. I like that they aren't afraid to go their own way despite negative feedback from pundits and the press. I like how they've elevated design in an industry that for the most part ignores it. But based on purely business metrics (how much money do they return compared to how much it costs to buy them), they are way overpriced. I thought they were expensive even at $70.

--Andre