1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Apple Magic Mouse

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by imageWIS, Oct 20, 2009.

1. btlaxripper

btlaxripper Senior member

Asked for one for christmas, I hope it's good.

I too upgraded to snow leopard. Other than the changed aesthetics on Expose, I really haven't noticed much. Good thing I didn't pay for it, but jacked it from my ex-gfs new macbook pro (had to get one exactly like mine, ugh).

2. dv3

dv3 Senior member

I've been enjoying mine. With "multiclutch" program you can set it so certain swipes of the finger (for example, across to the left or across to the right) trigger things like dashboard. Only one complaint: new batteries every month!

3. zissou

zissou Senior member

^My mighty mouse would burn through batteries about the same. Rechargeables help.

btlax- A few guys I know were having some issues when they upgraded, so I did an erase and install. Plus, it was about time for my annual reformatting.

4. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

If it has no wire (tail), can it truly be described as a mouse? 8:3

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

^My mighty mouse would burn through batteries about the same. Rechargeables help.

btlax- A few guys I know were having some issues when they upgraded, so I did an erase and install. Plus, it was about time for my annual reformatting.

Why do this? [​IMG]

If it has no wire (tail), can it truly be described as a mouse? 8:3

[​IMG] n00b

6. zissou

zissou Senior member

For a few reasons.
    1. my computers tend to run smoother/faster afterwards.
    2. Inspires me to keep files organized and at a minimum. I can't tell you how many GBs of unneeded photos I have deleted because of this.
    3. Frees up HD space

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

For a few reasons.
    1. my computers tend to run smoother/faster afterwards.
    2. Inspires me to keep files organized and at a minimum. I can't tell you how many GBs of unneeded photos I have deleted because of this.
    3. Frees up HD space

I see. Well, in response:

1. My computer is just as fast now as the day I got it. Maybe 10.6 helped offset the speed difference compared to 10.5, but it feels about the same.
    2. I'm still trying to organize and properly input my 400+ GB music collection onto iTunes, I really don't think I'll ever be able to organize ALL my files.
    3. I don't like to throw files away, I never know when I might need them again, thus my many TB of external hard drives

8. zissou

zissou Senior member

^ I can understand... I am a bit OCD about simplifying and organizing in almost all aspects of my life, though.

I also just like the idea of completely wiping an old OS off my computer when installing a new one. A few guys I know are having some issues just upgrading to 10.6.

9. A Y

A Y Senior member

The best thing I've found to keep up computer drive speeds is to partition the disk into OS and data. The system files are kept on a small partition (like 64 GB on my MBP) that's close to the inside of the spinning disk, and the rest of the hard drive is used for user data. The idea is to keep the number of writes into the OS partition as small as possible, and just do stuff on the data side so you don't fragment the OS side, and the OS side gets the fastest portion of the disk. So far it's worked out well, and when I installed Win7 on another laptop, I used the same organization which will hopefully work out fine.

Both OS X and Windows will initially put all the user directories on the system disk, but they're easy to move over to the data partition, and you can link to them with UNIX links on OS X, and shortcuts on Win7. This way, it's also trivial to reinstall the OS from scratch because you can easily backup your data separately.

This site goes into more detail: http://macperformanceguide.com/Mac-BootDriveDogma.html It's Mac-centric, but much of what he says applies to Windows, too.

--Andre