• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apple & Blu-Ray

Knisse

Reaction score
Hi, this has been an personal issue for a long time, i own some blu-rays at this point and i am yet to be able to watch one if am on the road.

I have parallel PC installed, so i have the possibility of getting programs to play them, the issue is - to be able to insert them and load them.

Does anyone know if its possible (WITHOUT buying any extra objects) to be able to simply read or even better to be able to play blu-rays on a mac?

Cheers!

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, because Apple wants everyone to download (buy) high-definition video through iTunes. That's how they do. (For the record: I'm not an Apple hater, I own a MacBook and an iPhone.)

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy blu-rays that include the digital copy. You can copy them to itunes. I did that with the back to the future trilogy, expendables, predators, the town, etc etc. Most blu-rays now come with the digital copy which is nice because even if you own a blu-ray player they aren't hooked up to every TV and your friends won't always have one.

Other than that, no.

Knisse

Reaction score
@gfreeman, i kind of expected that, thats kind of Apples way. But on this issue i think it will bite them in the butt, they do not expect Blu-Rays to replace DVD's which i think in time they will. All that digital/buy-only-when-you-need-it media is great, but a lot will prefer to have a few(or all) of the classics on actual discs.

@Gort, not even a single one of my blurays are with a Digital Copy, great.

Now this may be a bit technical - but if its possible with my Parallel PC to boot the computer into all PC mode, would it then be possible to get a third program to read Blu-Rays? - or will i hit the same wall since its all in the CD-drive that decides if this is going to be read?

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'd need to have an external bluray drive to connect to the laptop via USB. That would probably work. I'd try registering on mac-forums.com and asking there. I don't see why an external bluray drive wouldn't work if you're in full windows mode, but I have never tried since I only watch bluray discs on my tv's.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MartinHansen
@gfreeman, i kind of expected that, thats kind of Apples way. But on this issue i think it will bite them in the butt, they do not expect Blu-Rays to replace DVD's which i think in time they will. All that digital/buy-only-when-you-need-it media is great, but a lot will prefer to have a few(or all) of the classics on actual discs.

@Gort, not even a single one of my blurays are with a Digital Copy, great.

Now this may be a bit technical - but if its possible with my Parallel PC to boot the computer into all PC mode, would it then be possible to get a third program to read Blu-Rays? - or will i hit the same wall since its all in the CD-drive that decides if this is going to be read?

The laser that etches and reads BRD is a lot different than the one that reads CD or DVD. There is no software workaround. With that said, if you buy an external blu-ray reader, you should be fine if you boot into a Windows environment that has proper support for the drivers/etc.

kasper007

Reaction score
or you could just download the movies, perfectly legal since you already own it

Knisse

Reaction score
Thank you, i was afraid of that - but also expected. I really do not feel like buying some extra driver just to be able to play blu-rays.

Originally Posted by kasper007

True, but it was more if i was on the road, and would like to see a movie. It kind of ruins the purpose of those blu-rays if i have to download one every time i would like to watch a movie.

I like apple products, but i think this is a very short-sighted move of them.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the very least make sure future blu-rays you buy have the digital copy included. All you do is put the digital copy disc in and open it in itunes, it has you type in the voucher code that comes with it and it's then linked to your itunes account.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kasper007
No, it's not. It is completely illegal.

blairh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Knisse
Hi, this has been an personal issue for a long time, i own some blu-rays at this point and i am yet to be able to watch one if am on the road. I have parallel PC installed, so i have the possibility of getting programs to play them, the issue is - to be able to insert them and load them. Does anyone know if its possible (WITHOUT buying any extra objects) to be able to simply read or even better to be able to play blu-rays on a mac? Cheers!
Purchase an external Blu-Ray drive. This one retails for a touch over $100 and works with Macs (read the reviews on Amazon). Use a free software program called MakeMKV. This will allow you to rip the movie from the disc onto your Mac in the form of a Mkv video file which you can easily play with the free VLC player application on your Mac. The file will be large post-rip (anywhere between 15-35 GBs). If you don't have the room on your laptop to store it, then you can either buy a portable external HD like a Western Digital passport to store your Blu-ray rips or convert the file down to a smaller size using Handbrake (another free software). Let me know if you have further questions. You DO NOT need to boot into Windows, etc.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Maybe in the USA, where the MPAA, RIAA, Disney, etc. have total power and control over the draconian US copyright laws. They just love the $$$ when you have to buy the same movies or songs over-and-over, every time a new format comes out. Betamax > VHS > VCD > DVD > Blu-ray > ??? Can't see why it's illegal elsewhere. I've already bought the movie once, I don't see why I should be buying it again, just because it's in a different format. Anyway I'm not that interested in Blu-ray: (1) Because of its nasty AACS Digital Restrictions Management. (2) They're not available around here anyway. So if I want HD, BitTorrent is pretty much the only option. AFAIK and not illegal for private and academic uses here in China.

kasper007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent

How is downloading something for which you have already paid copyright for (in this case, by buying the most expensive option) illegal? it is merely format shifting.

As MikeDT said, maybe it could get you in trouble in the US (although i'd love to see someone actually go through a lawsuit), but not elsewhere

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You won't get nabbed for downloading...only uploading (although bittorrent does both).

Downloading is a strange legal beast and is basically not illegal. Uploading however is distributing a copyrighted work without permission which is illegal.

I am a little confused by apple refusing to embrace the blu-ray. It doesn't make sense like their abandonment of legacy ports for USB...They are not trying to push forward a new standard--they are just trying to push you to a platform where they can take a 30% cut from every sale. This doesn't seem like a long-term view...maybe they are trying to rake in the cash until Jobs has to leave.

Note: I see that you could argue that leaving the optical disk behind for the cloud is akin to dropping depreciated tech for a new standard...but unless you want to blow a lot of money on 4G dongles and service and only live in densely populated areas, having cloud movies (like the streaming-only apple TV) is a terrible replacement for a reliable optical disk. Sure there are workarounds but unlike prevalent USB peripherals, high speed access or substitutes (like buying a movie in an airport and transferring it to your computer over USB) are not ubiquitous. Good luck accessing your cloud version of the HD movie on an airplane.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I am a little confused by apple refusing to embrace the blu-ray.

Discs aren't sexy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads