• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apparel Disfunction? A Question About Shirt Collars to the Experts

evanrose

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Over at the Manolo for Men blog, there is a post that includes an image, originally from yahoo.com, that shows Brad Pitt with an erect collar and George Clooney with a flaccid one. Please note:

george-clooney-and-brad-pitt-with-open-collars.jpg

I hadn't thought much about it before, but I was walking around in a MTM shirt under a jacket without a tie and I was noticing that one side, the reenforced button-hole side (which I'm sure has a name) was standing firm like Mr. Pitt's and the other side, the button side, was pulling a Clooney. Now that I've noticed it, it can't be unnoticed.

I understand that in my case, the shirt was being held up on one side by a sturdy button-hole container and that the other side is being pulled down by gravity, but how exactly is Mr. Pitt achieving his look and what exactly is wrong with Mr. Clooney's? (And is there in fact something wrong with Mr. Clooney's?) Is it the fabric? The cut? The spread of the collar? Some sort of extra support in the collar itself? It's almost time to put in an order for more shirts and I'm curious. Can the shirt makers and connoisseurs amongst you speak on this?

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
It's the collar stiffs. A higher, stiffer and pointed collar will also help achieve the look.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He could simply be wearing a button down shirt, which is holding his collar down. And I think Mr. Pitt is wearing a regular straight collar with some sturdy stays. There are several types of collars, and it is simply a question of the type of look that you are trying to achieve. I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with the look that either of them is sporting. For instance, a button down collar tends to make you look a little compact, while a spread collar would be appropriate if you're planning on having a Windsor.

calvinloke

Reaction score
My collar used to stand erected that way when I used to wear high pointed collars. Smaller collars tend to submerge into the collar of my jacket. Ocassionally, I would have to pull it back up in the washroom. These days I just make sure I wear a tie with smaller collars.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not a fan of the clooney look at all, nor the pitt look actually. Prefer the tie with coat thingy.

But in addition to the collar size and stiffness of the stays, the button placement on the shirt will also be a factor.

evanrose

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts so far.

Regarding my own shirt, what can I do about on side staying straight and the other falling? And what should I tell my tailor to do with subsequent shirts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads