• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

App business-- marketing a sex app

Leave or Stay?

• Leave

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stay

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

ganziyama

Reaction score
Hey guys... So pretty ridiculous turn of events. I was in Korea and a friend of mine tells me to reply on a classified app for translating. Extra and easy cash. Sounds good. So I shoot those guys an email and instead, they want me to market a sex instructional app because they were planning a release to the U.S. iTunes store.... So basically I try my best to market the app for them given their non-existent English, terrible translation (before I fixed it all up), and their ridiculous expectations.
I'm just posting in case anybody was interested in international business on some key points that I learned...
1. Culture matters a lot regardless of product
Everyone probably knows this, but I didn't really know until I experienced it. I thought the app was kind of mediocre, but they were top 10 on the Korean app store and I had no idea how. They just said they used social networking, but without a website, I did not understand exactly how they garnered so much attention. I attribute it to the Confucian conformist ideology of Korea perhaps because they are very trend-oriented. Furthermore, they have an inferiority-complex (I guess like all cultures), but they try to diffuse that by seeking the approval of others which is not to say is good or bad, but I think in the business aspect, this can certainly be exploited.
2. Some people just don't listen
I told them from the get-go that they need a website to first establish credibility and for advertising. Since they were so successful, they expected me to get 2000 followers on Twitter. I have no idea how I can do that without a website, or without any framework in place for me to build off of. At the same time, I felt like I had no response since they have almost 6000 followers for the exact same product given the exact same circumstances. I think some of it is riding on me as I am in charge of marketing here, but part of it has to do with their adamant stance on going with only a facebook page....

Anyway, not to advertise or anything because I care more about what I learn... but do you think the app has potential? I didn't explain the app at all but here is the link to the website: http://www.hereshecomesapp.com ... It is so frustrating because I made the website myself and bought the domain, but they are (although they are thankful), kind of seeing it as unnecessary effort on my part. Furthermore, I am pissed off because I got paid 70 000won which is around 60 dollars CAD but they keep throwing English buzzwords like 'viral marketing' and keep communicating to them their disappointment... despite the fact that I am getting paid almost nothing and they dont' listen or fix what I tell them to fix... So basically what I am asking is for advice (namely, do I just quit... or is there enough potential for me to keep going and succeed?) I am leaning toward the latter, only because I can get valuable experience in case I would like to work in Korea.... sorry for the long post!

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys... So pretty ridiculous turn of events. I was in Korea and a friend of mine tells me to reply on a classified app for translating. Extra and easy cash. Sounds good. So I shoot those guys an email and instead, they want me to market a sex instructional app because they were planning a release to the U.S. iTunes store.... So basically I try my best to market the app for them given their non-existent English, terrible translation (before I fixed it all up), and their ridiculous expectations.
I'm just posting in case anybody was interested in international business on some key points that I learned...
1. Culture matters a lot regardless of product
Everyone probably knows this, but I didn't really know until I experienced it. I thought the app was kind of mediocre, but they were top 10 on the Korean app store and I had no idea how. They just said they used social networking, but without a website, I did not understand exactly how they garnered so much attention. I attribute it to the Confucian conformist ideology of Korea perhaps because they are very trend-oriented. Furthermore, they have an inferiority-complex (I guess like all cultures), but they try to diffuse that by seeking the approval of others which is not to say is good or bad, but I think in the business aspect, this can certainly be exploited.
2. Some people just don't listen
I told them from the get-go that they need a website to first establish credibility and for advertising. Since they were so successful, they expected me to get 2000 followers on Twitter. I have no idea how I can do that without a website, or without any framework in place for me to build off of. At the same time, I felt like I had no response since they have almost 6000 followers for the exact same product given the exact same circumstances. I think some of it is riding on me as I am in charge of marketing here, but part of it has to do with their adamant stance on going with only a facebook page....
Anyway, not to advertise or anything because I care more about what I learn... but do you think the app has potential? I didn't explain the app at all but here is the link to the website: http://www.hereshecomesapp.com ... It is so frustrating because I made the website myself and bought the domain, but they are (although they are thankful), kind of seeing it as unnecessary effort on my part. Furthermore, I am pissed off because I got paid 70 000won which is around 60 dollars CAD but they keep throwing English buzzwords like 'viral marketing' and keep communicating to them their disappointment... despite the fact that I am getting paid almost nothing and they dont' listen or fix what I tell them to fix... So basically what I am asking is for advice (namely, do I just quit... or is there enough potential for me to keep going and succeed?) I am leaning toward the latter, only because I can get valuable experience in case I would like to work in Korea.... sorry for the long post!

You must communicate to them the difference between marketing in Korea and in a deeper market.

Personally, I wouldn't work for a firm where they paid me $60 to do their marketing for them without some sort of significant upside later on, such as share options.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's a culture thing....

working for a korean company is like working under a dictatorship where you have to always think about what you're saying, who you are and your position.

ganziyama

Reaction score
yjeezle did you work for a Korean company before? I remember a friend of mine telling me that when you want to enter a Korean company you have to start young otherwise you won't have enough time to move up the ranks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads