• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apocalypse/End of World movie recommendations

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend to me good--or even just decent!--post-apocalyptic movies? I'm familiar with the usual ones, so if you know of any hidden or overlooked gems recommendations would be appreciated!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
x2 on the Road.

Also

Children of Men
Logan's Run
On the Beach
Luc Besson's Le dernier combat

And for the goof factor, you can't beat Hell Comes to Frogtown.

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, and for the thread link, above.

I'm really after less well-known films. Novels, too, if anyone has an ideas there!

airblaster503

Reaction score
As far as novels, I read The Passage recently and thought it was a pretty good book that seems like something you are into.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I actually thought Children of Men was a more interesting one. I thought it was crap right after watching it but it stuck with me.

one of the worst IMO was I Am Legend... so much potential but just didn't quite get there.

Also check out AMC's series The Walking Dead

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tweedydon
Thanks for the suggestions, and for the thread link, above.

I'm really after less well-known films. Novels, too, if anyone has an ideas there!

You could try some tv series, like Jericho or Jeremiah.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There seemed to be a spate of this type of film made in Australia around the same sort of time as Mad Max (late 70's, early 80's). Can't remember any names though.

Salute of the Jugger is a fun low budget one than springs to mind.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter

one of the worst IMO was I Am Legend... so much potential but just didn't quite get there.

The book was fabulous (Matheson); a pity it didn't translate to the screen the way it should have (Omega Man was pretty bad, too).

xander_horst

Reaction score
A Boy and His Dog is a fun low-budget one. Testament is really good, also phenomenally sad (probably realistic). If you're looking for novels as well, the list is even more extensive. I loved the novel Riddley Walker, and given the way the book is written, a film couldn't ever really capitalize on the details and nuance of the story. Check it out!

v0rtex

Reaction score
Threads (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090163/) is my favorite apocalyptic film. TV movie that was shown once on over-the-air channels in the UK at the height of the cold war. Terrified everyone, got banned from TV and the writer never worked again. Low budget but the unflinching realism gets inside your head like nothing else. It's just so... ordinary. When the Wind Blows is another British film, an animation. The Brits have the perfect sense of despair and pessimism required to pull off a really good post-apoc film. Edit: Both of the above took a lot from "The War Game", a BBC documentary made in 1965.

FtRoyalty

Reaction score
Eraserhead - not outright apocalyptic but has that sort of presense; it is slightly disturbing

Good Omens - an almost apocalypse book; more humorous than dark but a good, entertaining read

The Giver - though a young adult novel, worth the quick read. I think even an adult would be taken aback when s/he reads the chapter about Release

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
220px-Hell_Comes_to_Frogtown.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads