• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

APC's Jean Touitou tells us how he really feels

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.hintmag.com/post/apcs-jea...bruary-09-2011

"If you're a young actress, it's now expected that once you start making it you'll receive a bag from Chanel. It's become a rite of passage. And it works, it's huge publicity for them. But at some point what's sad about it is that the very famous Chanel bag 2.55"”which I really love, my grandmother had one and my mother had one"”is all over the place. I can't look at them anymore."

"It seems the people who run the luxury industry have lost all sense of luxury. CÃ
00a9.png
line in ready-to-wear I think still has a sense of luxury. But if you go to Hermès and you ask the salesgirl for a notebook in box-calf, she won't know what you're talking about. It's a type of leather and if you work at Hermès you should know it like runs in your veins. And they only have ugly colors."

"The Chinese can manufacture well, but I think they are the new fascists. I have to face it everyday. Since they have all this cash, they buy up raw materials, all the commodities, so if you want to buy cotton it's already been bought. If I want ten tons of cotton from Egypt, the guy will say, "I'm sorry, it's all sold. You have to talk to Mr. Chong." And of course Mr. Chong has raised the price. It's very bad. It's like a war. It's like we've entered an economic war. I'm not kidding. It's not a conspiracy theory."

"I don't know why designers want to show big spectacles in China. You go there and you get so depressed. There's no culture, nothing. The streets are ugly and people do not know how to dress themselves. You go to India and you find all these inspiring people to look at. You go to China and want to kill yourself. That's not very nice to say but those people are taking over the resources of the planet and we cannot do or say anything because they have all the cash. I'm a bit hysterical over China, but I'm sure I'm right. I'm committed now to wearing Scottish knitwear. I consider it a political statement. It's not even that much more expensive than Chinese knits and it lasts a lot longer."

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
"But if you go to Hermès and you ask the salesgirl for a notebook in box-calf, she won't know what you're talking about."

Or, say, a green pebble-grain breast-wallet?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
L'art de se faire aimer....

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little more with a short interview surrounding the APC store opening on the GQ Eye

http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq...-specials.html

This I found pretty refreshing:

Jean, it's fashion week. Looking forward to seeing any of the shows?
I wouldn't say I don't even know what fashion week is, because I don't want to be too arrogant, but to me there is no interest at all.

Wait, you're in New York during Fashion Week and you're not going to see anything?
No. There's nothing to see there. Because it's always boring. They show things that are not even produced. It's all about fame and finance. They say, we're showing a Winter collection and all you see is night dresses. So I don't see the point, really. I don't even go in Paris. It's too much of a circus.

Read More http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq...#ixzz1Da33JUOJ

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like his comments on China. They've been freaking me out lately and the comparison to fascism seems apt. I'm afraid they're going to make the world long for the days of American hegemony.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a poor loser.

Whine Whine. Can't compete. So it's the fault of the big bad Chinese.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Sounds like a poor loser.

Whine Whine. Can't compete. So it's the fault of the big bad Chinese.

You didn't read the interview apparently.

CaymanS

Reaction score
"The Chinese can manufacture well, but I think they are the new fascists. I have to face it everyday. Since they have all this cash, they buy up raw materials, all the commodities, so if you want to buy cotton it's already been bought. If I want ten tons of cotton from Egypt, the guy will say, "I'm sorry, it's all sold. You have to talk to Mr. Chong." And of course Mr. Chong has raised the price. It's very bad. It's like a war. It's like we've entered an economic war. I'm not kidding. It's not a conspiracy theory."

^ That's why it's always critical to have an alternate supplier (in this case, Mr. "Cheech").

HHD

Reaction score
I like him. I think he's good value and I buy his clothes, even though they have become more fashion-y in recent years than he is likely to admit.

However when I hear fashion industry people talk about how much they hate fashion I am always reminded by Bill Hicks on Marketing... "Oh, you know what Bill's doing, he's going for that anti-marketing dollar. That's a good market, he's very smart."

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Chong is my hero, along with Mr. Wong and Mr. Tong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads