• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

APC wash

BostonRussell

Reaction score
I apologize in advance. I'm sure this has been covered somewhere but damned if I can find it/it's difficult to search 200+page threads. Also it appears that the "official APC thread" is for sizing questions.

I've been working on my New Standards for a couple of months now. Recently I've grown paranoid that I would end up with too much contrast for my liking if I go the standard 6+ month route. I'm balancing that against my desire to keep my jeans dark as long as possible.

I'm thinking that if I wait as long as I can to wash them, then think there is too much contrast I can just rewash to restore some of it. It this logic sound? Seems common sense but I had to save up a good while to buy these things.

bure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BostonRussell
I apologize in advance. I'm sure this has been covered somewhere but damned if I can find it/it's difficult to search 200+page threads. Also it appears that the "official APC thread" is for sizing questions.

I've been working on my New Standards for a couple of months now. Recently I've grown paranoid that I would end up with too much contrast for my liking if I go the standard 6+ month route. I'm balancing that against my desire to keep my jeans dark as long as possible.

I'm thinking that if I wait as long as I can to wash them, then think there is too much contrast I can just rewash to restore some of it. It this logic sound? Seems common sense but I had to save up a good while to buy these things.

If you're looking to keep them dark, I wouldn't wash them. Will you be very active in them? If not, the darkness will last a long time as long as you don't wash. Are you wanting to keep them dark so they stay dressier? I would suggest doing a soak instead of wash. Honestly I've had my APC NS for 9 months and haven't washed them, but haven't done too many 'activities' in them and they smell fine and look fine.

BostonRussell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bure
If you're looking to keep them dark, I wouldn't wash them. Will you be very active in them? If not, the darkness will last a long time as long as you don't wash. Are you wanting to keep them dark so they stay dressier? I would suggest doing a soak instead of wash. Honestly I've had my APC NS for 9 months and haven't washed them, but haven't done too many 'activities' in them and they smell fine and look fine.

The relative dressiness is a plus. I don't envision having to wash them anytime soon. While Florida is hot as hell I'm not a particularly sweaty guy. I guess my worry is that when I do end up having to wash them, even if it's a year from now, they'll go all hyper contrast and I'll hate them.

Do they acquire fade lines at all if never washed/only soaked or will they just stay hardcore indigo?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The relative dressiness is a plus. I don't envision having to wash them anytime soon. While Florida is hot as hell I'm not a particularly sweaty guy. I guess my worry is that when I do end up having to wash them, even if it's a year from now, they'll go all hyper contrast and I'll hate them.

Do they acquire fade lines at all if never washed/only soaked or will they just stay hardcore indigo?

Contrast fades form from the creases. If you're worried that keeping your jeans unwashed will make the creases "stronger," making the fades higher-contrast, you might just want to iron out the creases and then cold soak to soften up the denim, which would help lessen future creases without losing too much indigo.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can always buy a new pair. I hate faded jeans and when they stretch out too much or get too faded, I get a new pair. A 150 bucks a pair, divided by 21 months of wear that comes out to about 7 bucks and some change a month.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were trying to avoid contrast fading and creasing I would cold soak every few months or more often.

BostonRussell

Reaction score
I think I'm just going to wait til the six month mark (or until I get bored) and try a cold soak, see what happens. Hopefully that will give me some crease marks/signs of wear without putting me into super contrast territory. Thanks much for the advice guys, my confidence is restored!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40