• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

APC wash

BostonRussell

Reaction score
I apologize in advance. I'm sure this has been covered somewhere but damned if I can find it/it's difficult to search 200+page threads. Also it appears that the "official APC thread" is for sizing questions.

I've been working on my New Standards for a couple of months now. Recently I've grown paranoid that I would end up with too much contrast for my liking if I go the standard 6+ month route. I'm balancing that against my desire to keep my jeans dark as long as possible.

I'm thinking that if I wait as long as I can to wash them, then think there is too much contrast I can just rewash to restore some of it. It this logic sound? Seems common sense but I had to save up a good while to buy these things.

bure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BostonRussell
I apologize in advance. I'm sure this has been covered somewhere but damned if I can find it/it's difficult to search 200+page threads. Also it appears that the "official APC thread" is for sizing questions.

I've been working on my New Standards for a couple of months now. Recently I've grown paranoid that I would end up with too much contrast for my liking if I go the standard 6+ month route. I'm balancing that against my desire to keep my jeans dark as long as possible.

I'm thinking that if I wait as long as I can to wash them, then think there is too much contrast I can just rewash to restore some of it. It this logic sound? Seems common sense but I had to save up a good while to buy these things.

If you're looking to keep them dark, I wouldn't wash them. Will you be very active in them? If not, the darkness will last a long time as long as you don't wash. Are you wanting to keep them dark so they stay dressier? I would suggest doing a soak instead of wash. Honestly I've had my APC NS for 9 months and haven't washed them, but haven't done too many 'activities' in them and they smell fine and look fine.

BostonRussell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bure
If you're looking to keep them dark, I wouldn't wash them. Will you be very active in them? If not, the darkness will last a long time as long as you don't wash. Are you wanting to keep them dark so they stay dressier? I would suggest doing a soak instead of wash. Honestly I've had my APC NS for 9 months and haven't washed them, but haven't done too many 'activities' in them and they smell fine and look fine.

The relative dressiness is a plus. I don't envision having to wash them anytime soon. While Florida is hot as hell I'm not a particularly sweaty guy. I guess my worry is that when I do end up having to wash them, even if it's a year from now, they'll go all hyper contrast and I'll hate them.

Do they acquire fade lines at all if never washed/only soaked or will they just stay hardcore indigo?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The relative dressiness is a plus. I don't envision having to wash them anytime soon. While Florida is hot as hell I'm not a particularly sweaty guy. I guess my worry is that when I do end up having to wash them, even if it's a year from now, they'll go all hyper contrast and I'll hate them.

Do they acquire fade lines at all if never washed/only soaked or will they just stay hardcore indigo?

Contrast fades form from the creases. If you're worried that keeping your jeans unwashed will make the creases "stronger," making the fades higher-contrast, you might just want to iron out the creases and then cold soak to soften up the denim, which would help lessen future creases without losing too much indigo.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can always buy a new pair. I hate faded jeans and when they stretch out too much or get too faded, I get a new pair. A 150 bucks a pair, divided by 21 months of wear that comes out to about 7 bucks and some change a month.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were trying to avoid contrast fading and creasing I would cold soak every few months or more often.

BostonRussell

Reaction score
I think I'm just going to wait til the six month mark (or until I get bored) and try a cold soak, see what happens. Hopefully that will give me some crease marks/signs of wear without putting me into super contrast territory. Thanks much for the advice guys, my confidence is restored!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads