• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

APC Tight/cure Jeans

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I've contacted APC asking a few questions about the tight jeans and here's what they had to say:

About the sizing: The tight jeans run slightly big, so we recommend that you go down a
size.

About marks that would look out of place on a shorter guy in the vintage version: In the vintage version, there are whiskers in the back of the knee.

About the tight/cure being selvedge: Due to the slightly tapered cut of the tight jeans, they are not made of selvedge denim.

I guess I'll have to stick to the dry denim version if I order them...

(BTW I've posted the same info on superfuture but I seem to remember someone here showed some interest in this model...)

Brian SD

Reaction score
About marks that would look out of place on a shorter guy in the vintage version: In the vintage version, there are whiskers in the back of the knee.

This is the problem I have with Earnest Sewn. I'm not even a short guy but the honeycombs are like in the middle of my calf, even when the inseam is the perfect length.

Oltmann

Reaction score
Earnest Sewn fit fine on me, the marks behind the knees are in about the right place, but extend a little too high on the back of my thigh. This is with an inseam that ends against the top of the sole of my sneaker.

I'm 6'3 though.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earnest Sewns and most premium denim jeans assume a 6' to 6'1" customer. This usually takes care of most customers needs. Slightly shorter (say 5'10 and 5'11") customers will need to hem their jeans a little, but the striations on the back of the knee will generally still be in pretty muich the right place - that is a design consideration when making the striations more "diffuse" than they used to be on jeans when companies first started doing this regularly about 5 years ago (see the ICN-Clone, for example). Brian, what can I say. You must have a short torso and upper legs, and very long lower legs. Maybe you should consider becoming a professional marathoner. You are skinny too, so you;ve ot that aspect covered as well.
biggrin.gif

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
About the tight/cure being selvedge: Due to the slightly tapered cut of the tight jeans, they are not made of selvedge denim.
How come they can't still use denim made on narrow looms? I mean, just because denim doesn't have the selvedge edge doesn't mean it's not selvedge denim, or does it? It seems to me that whatever minimal tensile strength is gained through selvedge (and I'm guessing it has to be pretty darn minimal) wouldn't be lost if you cut off the selvedge edge and sewed it up like a contemporary pair of jeans.

Geowu

Reaction score
I've heard they are made of the selvage denim just with the "selvage" (the edge finish) being cut-off.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Selvedge jeans by definition have the selvedge line. The fact that a pair of jeans is selvedge says pretty much nothing about the durability of the jean compared to other factors (whether long staple yarns were used, how the yarn was carded, whether the yarn was ring spun, the weight of the denim, etc...) The selvedge thing is a bit of a fetish among jean freaks, is all.

ringring

Reaction score
LA Guy put that perfectly. Personally I would doubt very much that APC would use selvage denim for a pair of jeans but then cut the selvage off. It makes far, far better commercial sense (ie spending at least half the money on fabric costs), to use regular full width denim. Their story about "Due to the slightly tapered cut of the tight jeans, they are not made of selvedge denim." is a slightly odd excuse . You certainly can make tapered jeans with selvage denim if you want to. Many such jeans already exist on the market. (Edwin Greenville, Morris, etc) As long as the outside leg seam remains straight, you can taper them all you like. eg a triangle can be 'fatter' or 'thinner' yet still taper to a point and retaining straight edges.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried on some weird "jeans" at an APC store. They were labelled as "new standard" but they were not raw, and very soft light blue, almost stretchy but 100% cotton. They ended up looking on me like I was some sort of hard-rock high-school kid from the mid-80s. I didn't like that look.

.luc

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, they were not distressed, just uniform faded blue. Probably very lightweight denim. I haven't seen them on the web site.Made in marocco.

.luc

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen these at HTC at the beginning of the season. They are by far some of the ugliest jeans I have seen (and I have seen some ugly jeans). Zegna could have made them to discredit APC
biggrin.gif
I think that they are these jeans: Butt ugly APC jeans Did you notice the the stitching is in the same blue, rather than the regular orange-yellow constrasting color? Notice that on the website, these are called the "New Standard" while the actual New Standards are still called the Unisex jean? APC - get your act together.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes. These are my jeans. LAG, you're the best... The ones I tried were not inky blue, just blue and no contrasting stitching. In fact, I picked them up because I wanted to know how the "new standard" fit and they had no w30 raw available. Well, not only were they quite ugly, but they are also women tight and extremely tappered. In fact, not at all like the "new standard" raw, and quite misleading.

.luc

Sevcom

Reaction score
When I first saw those at the APC store, I wondered why the hell they put women's denim "trousers" in the men's section. They're not jeans, but they're not regular pants. They're just wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads