• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

APC Original Standards give me a FUPA. Help!

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have had a pair of APC New Standards which I just haven't been able to make comfortable. Maybe they're too tight (size 29 while I'm a 31 or 32 in JCrew chinos, dress pants, and the like). Recently I developed the hypothesis that they just had too short a rise. So I went with the Original Standards in a size 30.

Well, I'm a pretty skinny guy, but the Original Standards are giving me a huge FUPA (see here if you don't know what that is: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=FUPA) and I feel like 50-year-old woman who has popped out about 5 kids in them.

Is this because the jeans need to break in? Will the marsupialed look of them ease up a bit as I wear them? I am hopeful after looking at these AWESOME pics from A Continuous Lean:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mkwilli...n/photostream/
Note how the rise on the worn in Original Standards seems to have "scrunched down" a bit.

What should I do? Exchange for a smaller (and likely uncomfortable) size 29? Return altogether because the OS is not a good fit? Has anyone else had this problem? Or will it all be fine once they break in?

brohymn

Reaction score
By FUPA do you mean muffin top? Like, the waist is tight and your fat is spilling out of the top of your jeans?

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Yes. That is what he means. That is why he started this thread.

You aren't as skinny as you think you are. Raw denim isn't some new breed of pantaloons. Even if they do stretch significantly, fat is soft and gelatinous. Like your midsection.

If this is harsh it's because I... I just can't believe... I mean, I've asked some dumb questions and started some questionable threads... but... no.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
You aren't as skinny as you think you are.
Agreed. Jeans can't "give" you a fupa--they merely bring it to your attention. You can't blame your pants for your pudgy midsection. You can either do something about your gunt or resign yourself to it and find jeans that work to hide it. Sizing down one or two on any jean will not help matters--squeezing fat tighter isn't going to make it look any better. Perhaps you ought to go for a lower rise, thereby avoiding the mushy midsection altogether. NSs have a fairly high rise (relative to what most folks wear in these parts) and OS are near dad pant territory. If you go any higher, you risk trapping your fupa beneath denim, which is not healthy or pretty.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
No! I don't mean muffin top. I mean the material around the fly bunches up and bulges out. I have no midsection mush. It looks like I have stuffed a small flat pillow under the fly of my pants.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FUPA is an acronym for fat upper ***** area. It's not the same thing as a muffin top.

brohymn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
FUPA is an acronym for fat upper ***** area. It's not the same thing as a muffin top.

Your "fupa" is due to them not being tight enough. It's not really a rise thing.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brohymn
Your "fupa" is due to them not being tight enough. It's not really a rise thing.

This happened with my jeans. Had to size down one and they ended up fitting perfectly.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
It's because they're a too lose and high rise, and you're trying to wear them lower.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads