• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

APC NS- CUff or Hem

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
yeah me too. cuffing looks really really stupid. It makes you look shorter, and about eleven years old. Unless you are actually rolling them up to walk in water or something.

WTF?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

swiss-jeansfreak

Reaction score
I just take the jeans like they are. If just long enough stacking, if too long cuffing. I prefer cuffed jeans though and I always try to get the long sizes. But I would never!!! ever hem a jeans!!

herzzreh

Reaction score
You just have to try both.

With some footwear, cuffing looks better than stacking and with some, stacking looks better than cuffing.

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I prefer cuffs when wearing Frye Brandos and stacks when wearing Clarks Desert Boots or sneaks.

highball

Reaction score
Don't do anything at first. Since they may shrink (just a bit) on the first wash you may not want to hem them until you know the final post-wash length. Just turn them up or stack until you after you wash them. By that time you should have had between a few and many months to decide if you like the look of cuffs or stacks better or would rather just get them hemmed.

starcrash

Reaction score
Anyone else think that stacking looks ridiculous if you're over the age of 25? I saw a guy at a retail shop who was probably in his mid-forties and he had his stacked raw denim and it looked laughable. I'm not a fan of stacking anyway, but this guy definitely had the "trying to hard" look going.

Full disclosure: I'm 34 and I am a dedicated cuffer.

Casey

Reaction score
If you have only 3 inches extra, just stack them. They won't be extreme at all and when they're dark, they won't be very noticeable either. If you want, you can cuff them about an inch so that maybe about a centimeter or more of the outside seam is showing so that it takes a little length off, and it won't make you look too much shorter. Also, I find that when i cuff a little at the bottom and the denim is still a little stiff, the hem doesn't touch the ground.

cookieoflife

Reaction score
Definitely do no hem if they're new. My standards have shrunk a good 2-2.5" in the inseam since I first got them. I've cold-soaked two or three times, and don't tumble dry. Cuff them if you're having trouble stepping on your hems.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by starcrash
Anyone else think that stacking looks ridiculous if you're over the age of 25? I saw a guy at a retail shop who was probably in his mid-forties and he had his stacked raw denim and it looked laughable. I'm not a fan of stacking anyway, but this guy definitely had the "trying to hard" look going.

Full disclosure: I'm 34 and I am a dedicated cuffer.

There's an age limit on stacking now, too? Wow, I know I slept for a whole 4 hours or so last night, but in that time I wasn't aware this stacking rule took affect. Thanks.

modual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cookieoflife
Definitely do no hem if they're new. My standards have shrunk a good 2-2.5" in the inseam since I first got them. I've cold-soaked two or three times, and don't tumble dry. Cuff them if you're having trouble stepping on your hems.

Are you sure new standards shrink 2-2.5" ? Can anyone else confirm apc's shrink that much ?

billsayers

Reaction score
I actually have two pairs of APC NS - one that I stack and the other that I cuff. I stack the NS I sized down 3 and cuff the NS that is sized down 2.

To me stacking is optimal if the jeans fit slim but if it has a bit of looseness, cuffing tends to look a bit less sloppy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads