• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apartment foo-nishing

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Needs a smack of colour. Like a Rothko.

That doesn't sound right. The different shades of white and cream only work if your eyes aren't distracted by a big expanse of saturated color. All the nuance gets overwhelmed.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The aerium balls (not terrariums) are in different sizes, so I don't think lining them up is an option.

The floors are a medium brown with a very slight olive cast.

Ah, oh well. I thought there were 4 smaller and 3 larger aeriums.

A really funky thing to do would be to line them up in descending size in a spiral, but that's probably too funky for your decor. A less funky alternative would be to line then up in vertical rows (yes, I know) but with one row in descending size, the other in ascending size.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That doesn't sound right. The different shades of white and cream only work if your eyes aren't distracted by a big expanse of saturated color. All the nuance gets overwhelmed.

Makes sense, but his idea works if you follow the premise that the room is like a plate and the painting is the dish - which I suppose you don't.

Either way getting a Rothko print is inauthentic to the nth degree. Just look out the window - so much of the world is Rothko.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here are the chips. Reasonable to ask for replacement?

chip02_zps050af658.jpg

chip01_zps79c77cbf.jpg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Here are the chips. Reasonable to ask for replacement?
chip02_zps050af658.jpg

chip01_zps79c77cbf.jpg

Will they bother you? If so, you should seek a replacement. If you can live with them, live with them.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the marble experts know the answer but I gotta wonder why they don't break (chamfer) that bottom edge . Is it really that much more work?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Will they bother you? If so, you should seek a replacement. If you can live with them, live with them.

A chip in glass or marble would bug me if new. I would return it and move on to something else if they can't supply one chip-free.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thats pretty bad looking for a new piece. I would have it replaced and if they were not accommodating I would return it.

I dont agree that the bottom edge should be chamfered and the reason is that the side is cut back on angle. I might have rounded over the edge, but they may have already done that.

Last edited:

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Makes sense, but his idea works if you follow the premise that the room is like a plate and the painting is the dish - which I suppose you don't.

Either way getting a Rothko print is inauthentic to the nth degree. Just look out the window - so much of the world is Rothko.

Inauthentic. Lol.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hear a lot of people saying the room is too "white." However, their aesthetic goals are probably fundamentally different from ours. We don't see whiteness as a problem. The intent is to emphasize texture and form, while also making a small space more airy. I don't dislike more colorful rooms--I just don't think rooms have to be colorful.

Anyways, if you need to see significantly more color, nothing could possibly save our living room. A big colorful painting will drain attention away from everything else. We don't want to build our room around a centerpiece.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least you and your wife are on the exact same page. Though, I'm glad I could unite the forum against my (poorly-educated) suggestion.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
What about a fake Rothko?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads