1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Apartment foo-nishing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Which begs the question, of what service are we to you, and why can't you just go do this shit by yourself?

2. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

FTFY

You've already been provided with several nuanced views. I think your room is either too white or not white enough. Dopey thinks the only two patterns in the room clash. Lefty has commented on the proportions. Manton suggested you get a fake Rothko.

And really, whether you like it or not, everyone's eyes are going to be drawn immediately to the one point of color you have allowed into the room. Maybe that's the effect you were going for -- it is quite a nice money cat -- I don't know.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Or a prude.

The perils of Berkeley...

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Accent colours can be horrible (well everything here is futuristico-horrible):
    [​IMG]

Foo does not have a "white room", he has a pale room and the idea is entirely fine, some cream, pale greys, white and beige. You guys need to calm the fuck down about his favoured colour scheme. I find it to be very joyous as it reminds me of Häagen-Dazs vanilla+butterscotch or whatever.

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ice cream > cake > pie

1 person likes this.
  6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Foo, while I generally am roughly in your camp I think this statement is oxymoronic. What are aesthetic judgements but expressions of social and cultural conditioning?

7. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Man did that taste good. Thanks for reminding me how tasty that was, SH. It's a shame I don't have any basil growing this year. :(

9. A Y

A Y Senior member

I hope you didn't find the mostly black text on mostly white pages too sterile or boring.

1 person likes this.
  10. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Again, room looks great. Continue living in it.

Why are you getting rid of the Eames? Love those things.

11. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

On the contrary, aesthetics is the pursuit of beauty. You have to dig beyond the social and cultural, which are merely the top layers, to find or achieve anything meaningful.

12. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

FTFY

13. mafoofan

None of those views were nuanced. More importantly, none were convincing. What constitutes too much white or too little? Lefty has stated that the proportions are wrong, but did not give a good argument for why.

Dopey's comment is the closest to useful. However, he is still wrong. My pattern-matching principles apply to outfits, which are worn by people. We do not see people the same way we see their environments. In the case of the former, we see one unit. In the case of the latter, we tend not to forget we are looking at many different elements.

I would not personally want to do a truly white room (like the one you posted). I'm very glad that you don't hate ours though. The cross-section of people who like our space is encouraging.

We're not getting rid of it--just moving it. We are replacing it with a Cappellini Lotus lounge chair.

14. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

:lurk:

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I'm aware of all the ink, brainpower, and hot air that's been spent over the centuries trying to support the concept you buy into but I do not. Then again I'm the guy with the least amount of taste posting here...well, next to StephenHero at least...so no doubt your position will be more warmly received. I just tend to think we're meat and bone animals and create our own meaning.

16. mafoofan

I actually think very few people here agree with me on this point.

However, from personal experience, and based on what I know of what it takes to do well in design and the visual arts, aesthetic achievement absolutely requires gathering knowledge, intellectual exploration and a willingness to test your own prejudices. The way I think about something changes how I see it--is it so different for you?

17. mafoofan

What?

I buy one Cappellini coffee table and suddenly I'm a Cappellini whore? Come on. If you are familiar with modern design, you'll know that there are only a handful of big manufacturers that make the vast majority of the stuff that is commercially available.

18. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

While the white room has been a mainstay of the past 90 years of elite architecture/design, I think there is an objective basis for rejecting it. That is, in every cultural context other than post-Bauhaus elite design, people prefer color. Perhaps the specific cultural context for preferring white is grounded in the ideological goals of the most influential modern architects, rather than the general preference of every preindustrial culture.

19. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

foo, is it not possible that through the acquisition of knowledge and intellectual exploration, you are really just opting for a different cultural conditioning? we're getting back to the old questions of absolute aesthetic values. an honest question, not a troll. and i like a lot of things about the room and certainly endorse your right to enjoy the ones i don't like.

1 person likes this.
  20. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Not what I was thinking at all. I'm just shocked that after your series of unfortunate events you'd go back to the well yet again: