• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apartment foo-nishing

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

0424_symphony_hall_1.jpg

Great walkways from nothing to nothing.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a ConTrad shrine here in SF as well. It's pretty awful.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could be worse. I used to work in that monstrosity owned by the Trinity people across from UN Plaza. All white marble and green oxidized copper. Plus Angelo has a fetish for Romanesque statuary. There was even a coffee shop in the lobby that blared three tenors music 24 seven. You could avoid most of it by going out the back, but then you'd be fighting off the junkies. I actually walked that way out to the parking lot with my boss one day and we found a marital aid on the asphalt which was the size of one of those Ground beef sausage things you buy at Safeway.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which strangely brings us back on topic: Matt, you admit your apartment is indeed ConTrad, Why not go all the way?

You could go to those horrible stores in Chinatown and buy some of those horrible bonded bronze statuary things that look like bad copies of Remington, But in giant fun size. Most of those stores are owned by Albanian/Chechen/Balkan gangsters, you know, like in season two of The Wire, so I'm sure they're easy to negotiate with.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Truth: unless you start from scratch, ConTrad is almost impossible to entirely avoid. Afterall, it is the default aesthetic in America.

In New York, it is escapable when you rent or buy pre-War, which often nets you a traditional setting. However, when pre-War apartments are renovated, or when brand new apartments buildings go up, they are almost always finished in ConTrad livery.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Also, only anal on the couch?

Did I ever tell you about this girl I know who was ********** of the backdoor persuasion in her parents Parisian apt and had an "accident" on the Persian rug then proceeded to blame the family dog when her parents came back and the poor beast got euthanized?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

ConTrad is basically Foo's adaptation of "middlebrow" to a specific use (int. deco).

Big, important question: is there middlebrow interior design that isn't ConTrad?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If I understand this properly, then ConTrad is an aesthetic. It's not simply about when something was built or made, nor is it synonymous with "middlebrow." So, e.g., my in-laws McMansion is definitely ConTrad.

However, I know it's possible to build pure trad today. It may not happen often but it is possible. I've seen it. For instance. some years ago I went to a party in Carmel Valley. The home was a gracious spanish Hacienda that looked like a Wallace Neff from the 20s. I asked the owner when it was built and he said 1995. Amazing to me. It was a perfect rep in every way of "Old California Romantica."

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Sure. Hi tech modern.

Design-mag mid-century: the aesthetic for single men who want their living space to look like the lobby of an advertising firm.

Cutesy hipster girl design: why hang one vintage portrait frame when you can fill your wall with them.

Those were the days: men who build their cigar lounges with all that nice aged wood and those padded chairs.

"Kitsch is the absolute denial of ****." -Kundera

Is hi-tech modern what you and I would call "hotel chic"?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads