• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apartment foo-nishing

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, your house doesn't have the con part. It is trad.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay, so someone else go. Or Matt go again. Examples of good ConTrad. Or good Asian-Style food.

10,000 foo points to whoever posts the first qualifying specimen.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I suppose I don't want to know the answer, but would you call my house "con trad"? The look i am going for, FWIW, is "Pall Mall gentleman's club circa 1910." But with electricity, etc.

No, it's just traditional.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Okay, so someone else go. Or Matt go again. Examples of good ConTrad. Or good Asian-Style food.

10,000 foo points to whoever posts the first qualifying specimen.

Trick question. I thought part of the definition of ConTrad is that it is not good? Or are you stipulating it is possible for good ConTrad to exist?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I thought part of the definition of ConTrad is that it is not good?

Is it? Or perhaps you simply reached that conclusion on your own? If so, this has been a powerfully effective dialectic.

Or are you stipulating it is possible for good ConTrad to exist?

When I was little, my older brother bet me I couldn't eat an entire lemon.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Architecturally, my house is kind of Shingle/colonial. Very trad floorplan. The RE listing when we bought it described it as "tudor" which is preposterous.

Our apt building in DC was tudor for real and we decorated that place almost identically to the house we have now. Same paint colors, even, plus the big white built in bookcase, which I love.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
So, what about my parents' house? Totally con floorplan, but all the furniture and knick-knacks are trad ...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Manton, stop applying for a category in which even the participants are embarrassed to partake. A colonial filled with chippendale and antique persian rugs is not contrad. You need to mix in some phillipe starck chairs and some faux-antique pots and some monotone books and put in a steamer trunk coffee table.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Hmmm, OK, well it's not uncommon in Manhattan to see pre war apartments totally furnished in modern style, is that con trad? Or does it not count if it's only trad on the outside but not on the inside?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not a matter of architectural layout or structure. We're only refering to the interior design.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That said, a building itself can, of course, be ConTrad. It's arguably a sub-species of post-modern--arguably, because post-modernism can be understood either as a cultural effect or phenomenon whose participatns may be unwitting or, as a purposeful project whose participants must be in on the joke.

Last edited:

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone direct me to the first person in this threak who pointed out that foo's living room will suffer from the same problem that he claims afflicts the 99% on styleforum?

You can't seriously tell me that his choice of lamps isn't the decor equivalent of a double monk and that his foofed kilim rug isn't going to be his fun socks.

Or is this thread just another attempt at trolling?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you think?

DWR had a warehouse sale on the weekend. People fighting each other for furniture. There was a stack of chair ones in the corner. 1/2 price. No one touched them while I was there.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads