• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apartment foo-nishing

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Spend an afternoon strolling through the lighting district places - even the horrible ones can give you some ideas.

are these those places near the Bowery?

There's a bunch of places in Tribeca too, but i'm going to go ahead and assume pricey.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Ok:

1) Those pieces work better in a place with a lot more breathing space and higher ceilings, this just look like a cramped display. Get rid of most stuff.

2) **** those lamps and burn that rug.

3) The rendering looks lifeless, dunno about the real space, I'll easily give you that it could be better.

4) Space seems to lack a certain softness or comfort factor, which reinforces the generic display for yuppies looking for third party validation aspect, once again maybe it is because of point 3.

5) Authenticity or whatever stephenhero is talking about isn't really linked to your own purity of intent, complete toolbags with uninteresting lives (interior deco is mostly like watches in that its biggest fans usually are cretins) can have great interiors, it just has to present a certain narrative concerning yourself but include certain elements that make us think you also have some submerged depth.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fuuma, you are so much better at Fuuma than SH is. Thanks.

I think his "honest living" mantra is total bullshit. Your framework makes more sense, though I'm not so interested in revealing "submerged depth." I am what I am and we use what we like. But I think you and I are in agreement that interior design is intrinsically an exercise in contrivance.

The space is small, but not that small--particularly by Manhattan one-bedroom standards. The diagram is cold, of course. But I hope it is useful for understanding spacing and scale, and possibly color palette.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Fuuma, you are so much better at Fuuma than SH is. Thanks.

I think his "honest living" mantra is total bullshit. Your framework makes more sense, though I'm not so interested in revealing "submerged depth." I am what I am and we use what we like. But I think you and I are in agreement that interior design is intrinsically an exercise in contrivance.

The space is small, but not that small--particularly by Manhattan one-bedroom standards. The diagram is cold, of course. But I hope it is useful for understanding spacing and scale, and possibly color palette.

Where stephenhero is right is that YOU have to live in it and it's a much easier and comforting exercise to go for what you like in an organic manner and let your own peculiarities intrude on that perfect plan, giving the space a life of its own than to nefariously plan all of this.

space: I know what a one bedroom looks like, which is why I think you should choose your furniture accordingly.

I have no idea of it will be of help but one lame thing and one that ends up being really nice in my own place:

1) I have a chair with a bunch of rare Margiela artbooks laying around, underneath you can see MMM painted boots. It's lame because I don't wear the boots and there's no reason they should be there, it looks like I'm throwing some fashion interest in the unsuspecting face of my visitors. I need to get rid of this ****.
2) Friend moved to London and left me a big bunch of his books, right now they're sitting in piles on a rug, for some reason this work in progress makes the place look awesome and people like to rummage through the stacks and find a nice artbook on traditional Japanese tattoos or some Sagmeister design book. It just works because it is incomplete, imperfect and even unplanned. It invites people, be they me or someone else, to bring their own subjective attempt at completion or re-stacking or whatever. Keep in mind I have lots of my own books laying around or in bookcases and they don't nearly elicit the same interest, although they're useful when I need them.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fuuma's list says nearly everything I'd think (not that I'm more than a layman). I think, foo, that you're right about the rug and the table fighting. The rug loses.

There are a lot of words I like, but I wouldn't try to cram every one of them into a hundred words, and that's almost the sense I get from your diagram -- all of these wonderful things that will only detract from each other in such a small space.

Unlike dieworkwear, I absolutely love the tartan throw, because it seems rather careless. Throw that over the sofa, and if you get sick of it, switch it for something different. Functional, and nice.

Is the red chair comfortable? It looks cool, but I don't know if I'd use it.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
StephenHero being an asshole as usual.

There's a reason I have him on block. :foo:, I suggest you do the same

Last edited:

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
My place is a one bedroom. You can do a lot with them.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is epic gold.

That being said, the rug needs to go, no doubt. I agree with someone's comment that the throw blanket needs to be different colors, I like the idea of the tartan, just not that one. and it really boils down to this, if you are happy, go with it. Same as with the clothes we buy, doesn't matter what everyone else wants and opines about, but if you like it then roll with it. Even if the rug is crazy in my opinion, if you really want it, well, it is your pocketbook.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May i offer some perspective? It seems to me that you have put together a cast of characters, only to realize you don't have a story for them. Maybe part of Stephen's issue is that there is no story plot to this living space, more a collection of items that caught your eye, forced to fit a space.

I find this no different than when a noob attempts to haphazardly put together an outfit of non coherent items. With no context given on the occasion, his character, or circumstance.

I envision Foo lives in a place filled with memories of places traveled, or curious musings of the sartorial nature, maybe something that hints at your other hobbies.

I suppose one could appreciate an aesthetically pleasing space arrangement, without the need for context. But, why not have depth to a space as well. Something you can lose yourself in, if you stop to smell the roses.

Hope that helped...

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ditch the rug in favor of a Berber, perhaps in olive?

Ditch coffee table, replace with a low wood bench, can be used for extra seating as necessary.

Ditch lamps, replace hideous ball thing with a combined lamp and side table, or side table with a lamp on it.

Ditch stool.

Ditch chair in favor of vintage Eames Aluminum Group Lounge Chair in orange textile or biscuit leather.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys. Will read through more closely later.

One thing worth pointing out: it's just a computer-drawn layout. Of course, the actual space will show use and reflect day-to-day living. I didn't think it was necessary to draw in all of our personal affects and objects. The books and throw are there because when I first did the layout, I realized it looked way to sparse to judge. Adding our blanket and coffee table books shows more realistically what the color palette of the room will be like. Anyway, my main concern is getting the furniture positioned and scaled properly. Secondarily, I want to make sure the colors, patterns, and textures harmonize. They will all be much more subtle in real life, of course.

Before StephenHero arrived on the scene, I didn't think it was necessary to explain that we don't intend to live in a two-dimensional pixelated apartment where nothing will ever be used, moved, added to, or otherwise lived in. But there it is.

The stool strikes me as stupid now. Maybe we'll do a simple Eames wire base side table. Saves money to boot.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads