Apartment foo-nishing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Foo, I know what you mean. It's hard to define but you know it when you see it.

Pio, I wouldnt collect them if I weren't specifically interested in them, old handmade things often call out to me.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Funny this should be brought up. I used to sit by this Chinese guy at work who would routinely call himself an "Oriental". I never knew it was a impolite/inaccurate to call an Asian person oriental and I thought nothing of him calling himself one. I decided that the word "oriental" sounded like cool and exotic so I began to use it. I used it and my friend called me a bigot and was kind of offended (he was not Asian, mind you). I soon realized that I probably shouldn't use the word "oriental" despite the melodic nature of the word.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Sounds hot.

Next, are we going to find examples of good "Asian Style" food?

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I have sent pictures to mafoo. He can comment.

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

My great grandfather had a very eclectic social group, but also gave up on worrying if he was offending someone. So it was often hilarious to be a witness to his conversations.

I don't see why you couldn't use a classical pattern, but most often they will use a smaller size (not room size or palace size).

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

So, Berkeley used to have a "department of oriental languages," and as late as 1990 it was still called this. But in the early 1990s, this came to be considered an outrage and had to be changed. We can, I believe, thank the loathesome Edward Said for making "Oriental" a dirty it word. So the word was expunged and the department changed to "East asian langauges and cultures."

However, it was housed in beautful little building called durant hall, almost in the dead center of campus. AND the words "Oriental Languages" were literally carved in stone over one entrance. Well, that had to go. The solution was to kick everyone out and completely rennovate the building and strip it of all offending Oriental symbolism. The only thing that remains are two stone rampant Chinese lions at the main entrance. I don't know how they survived.

And the poor Asians all were kicked out of their lovely building and exiled to Dwinelle, notoriously the worst building on campus, never to return as it happens. Because the Administration took over Durant and left the poor Asians in Dwinelle. whcih means, in addition to Sproul (the Death Star) the admin also has California and Durant, two of the nicest wheeler era buildings on campus and among the very finest public buildings on the west coast.

7. patrickBOOTH

^That reads like the first page of a really great work of fiction. Run with it.

8. Manton

I have a lengthy outline of a novel about berkeley and several completed chapters but I don't believe I will ever finish it.

9. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Okay, I had to Google the associated images because I can't load the automated peepshow at work.

From what I can tell, all but one of the rooms are soundly not ConTrad. Yes, there is a lot of beige. However, it is not a space that I think the general population would call "traditional" in any way (or "comfy" or "warm" or "welcoming"). In my book (which, ahem, is the authoritative authority on ConTrad), what makes a ConTrad setting ConTrad, as opposed to simply Con or Trad alone, is that there must be an evident desire to either dilute the contemporary with the safely traditional or dilute the traditional with what is safely contemporary. The result is typically akin to a catalogue page from Ethan Allen, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, etc.

I would simply call this space contemporary. It's not my sort of thing at all, but it is not bad either. I would probably not have to kill myself if I had to live in it.

10. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Was I providing too much context on where I saw/see the items I was mentioning?

11. itsstillmatt

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Now that we have Foo's opinion I think they need to be made public.

13. itsstillmatt

No.

14. Manton

I suppose I don't want to know the answer, but would you call my house "con trad"? The look i am going for, FWIW, is "Pall Mall gentleman's club circa 1910." But with electricity, etc.

15. patrickBOOTH

Here's my fathers new bookcase, complete with my mothers old books and tchotskies...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]