• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apartment foo-nishing

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hard to find a substitute for seeing these rugs in person. You're in NYC, you could probably throw a stone and hit a rug shop.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ernie

Reaction score
282151dc9507b1f47f6bc6fec675e22a.jpg

Fantastic.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been e-mailing back and forth with that designer. We like the "Plait" pattern, but are wondering about the right color and if really want to spend so much.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've found what appears to be a reputable, legitimate kilim designer who works with Anatolian village women to make the rugs you spec, and they sell for around $1,500. You'd probably pay a bunch less if you skipped past a designer and did it through a rug shop instead, but then there is added risk.

What added risk is that, exactly?

Would it bother you if the "Anatolian village women" turned out to be 10 years old and currently living in Pakistan? Unfortunately, that's always a possibility, even if you're buying a carpet that has some sort of certification.

The ironic thing is that Iran has arguably the best carpets and the cleanest industry. Due to sanctions, however, Iranian carpets can't be imported in most countries. So where they are available, there's a glut and the prices have crashed. For $2000 you can pick up a high-quality work of art, if you are willing to go to Dubai.

If it's just a matter of temporary interior decoration, I would just get a machine-made carpet. They're cheaper, look perfectly fine and you don't have to worry about some progressive bint nattering on about labor conditions in India during the veal course.

Hard to find a substitute for seeing these rugs in person. You're in NYC, you could probably throw a stone and hit a rug shop that's going out of business.

FTFY

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure how reliable this article is, Foo, but you might find it helpful when trying to assess whether the price you're paying is fair.

http://www.rugandrelic.com/Category...bout-Rugs/Nine-Indicators-of-Rug-Quality.aspx

I also walk by this store often. They only sell Oriental rugs, but the owner wrote this book. Not sure if there are some transferrable lessons there, but maybe? The owner of that store/ author of that book sells some really nice stuff.

There's also this kilim rug store in San Francisco, but I've never been

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Going to a reputable dealer helps, especially if they are willing to show you varying degrees of quality back to back so that you can get an idea of what you're looking for.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Going to a reputable dealer helps, especially if they are willing to show you varying degrees of quality back to back so that you can get an idea of what you're looking for.

I don't think there was ever any question about that. The issue is: which dealers?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If you swapped the chairs out I bet that could become ConTrad in an instant.

Hmm. The room is not particularly fashionable in the ConTrad way.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually agree with foo on this one, not really in danger of being contrad, there is nothing really pretending to be something else in that room. The fireplace is real, the lounge chairs are correctly oriented to make use of the fireplace and the rug looks like it's both old and of good quality.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Picture over the fireplace, useless foo-foo stuff on the end table. Swap out the chairs and I think it's ripe for it.

FWIW, I like it though...but my endorsement is just another nail in the coffin...

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have useless foo-foo stuff all over my house. Still no way to get it to con-trad.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I thought you and Gomey were against that? Interior desecration and all?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads