• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apartment foo-nishing

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO, neither has a tribal vibe. Also, these rugs seem to call for a stone, tile or concrete floor. They seem very odd placed with the setting in question, at least to me, I would expect a heavier rug with a more interesting pattern, something with a little mileage on it so that it does not look like you bought your life out of a catalog.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those are tribal symbols, actually. Stands for marriage and fertility.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By vibe, I mean something that may actually have been used as a prayer rug, rather than just having been made to suit western appeal.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not all kilims are prayer rugs. This is a traditional design. You see the same interlocking symbol all over Turkish kilims. Sometimes it is mixed in with other symbols, sometimes it is simply repeated over and over again.

You have a tendency to assume I know less than I do.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not all kilims are prayer rugs. This is a traditional design. You see the same interlocking symbol all over Turkish kilims. Sometimes it is mixed in with other symbols, sometimes it is simply repeated over and over again.

You have a tendency to assume I know less than I do.

Nope, just mentioning what I prefer in rugs. Been thinking a lot about the subject lately, since we're on the search for one or two for my study. I tend to prefer flat weaves for more rustic circumstances and maybe juxtaposed with Bauhaus furniture, but not for more elegant uses.

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nope, just mentioning what I prefer in rugs. Been thinking a lot about the subject lately, since we're on the search for one or two for my study. I tend to prefer flat weaves for more rustic circumstances and maybe juxtaposed with Bauhaus furniture, but not for more elegant uses.

This would look great with bauhaus type stuff. Pretty sure it is morrocan, not kilim.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that. Where from? Google image search wasn't helpful.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This would look great with bauhaus type stuff. Pretty sure it is morrocan, not kilim.

Thanks Matt, something like this was what I was attempting to describe. That would look great with Bauhaus furniture.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where is a good source for these sorts of rugs? Looking for kilims, for example, yields dozens of web shops that may or may not be reputable.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where is a good source for these sorts of rugs? Looking for kilims, for example, yields dozens of web shops that may or may not be reputable.

A reputable on-line carpet dealer? I think you had better resign yourself to the idea that WYSIWYG. Any extraordinary claims should be discounted by close to 100%. If someone is offering you a brand-new machine-made mostly-wool carpet, you will probably get what you pay for. If someone is offering you an antique 100% Vicuna, 2000 knots/inch carpet that was hand-woven by the Sultan's Mother-in-Law, not so much.

If you want to buy something special, you really have to inspect the goods in person. And even then, something is almost sure to get by you even if you know what to look for. Even assuming the dealer is being 100% straight with you -- a big assumption --carpets can have a very long and convoluted supply chain so there are lots of opportunities for fudging, especially regarding materials and age. Maybe its 100% silk and maybe it's not.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We're not looking for a masterpiece or anything extraordinary. But if we go the route of a kilim or a berber, we'd like a genuine one--not some mass-produced rendition for the interior design market. Really, we'd like to spend no more than $2,000 on something 5x8 to 6x9. Much, much less would be even better. To be quite honest, the normal mass-produced rugs we've been looking at are all less than $500. At this point, we just aren't comfortable spending a lot on something that may or may not outlive our current apartment. We are okay spending more on furniture because we are more certain of its long-term adaptability.

I've found what appears to be a reputable, legitimate kilim designer who works with Anatolian village women to make the rugs you spec, and they sell for around $1,500. You'd probably pay a bunch less if you skipped past a designer and did it through a rug shop instead, but then there is added risk. Sound potentially legitimate?

I'd rather not get such a rug at all if what we're looking for is not available in our price range.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads