• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apartment foo-nishing

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

But we are still talk about homes, right? It is one thing if it looks cool in a picture or to look as as in a sculpture, but if you can't relax the way you want in it then all it is is a cool installation piece.

What is relaxing to you may not be to someone else.

Also, not that this applies to you specifically, but a lot you guys seem to forget how many of SH's posted interiors have solitary pieces of furniture placed in wide open spaces, with no obvious, conventional function whatsoever.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's more white now. Most dark things have be redone or recovered in white.

Do you still have the patterned rug under the dining table? My wife and I have been on the search for rugs and it has been fruitless, wondering what you have if you don't mind telling.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Again, for remotes?

ovale-container-with-lid-small-alessi-ronan-erwan-bouroullec-39269.jpg

Open to suggestions: must conceal the remotes and be tabletop friendly.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I liked labelking's suggestion, but I think it works best for someone who collects antique luxury items.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They are ceramic containers by the Bouroullec brothers for Alessi.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't care what they are and who made them. They look like baby wipe dispensers, or some kind of travel kit to put your toothbrush, diaphragm, and other toiletries in.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That said, I don't like televisions in public areas. I think they signal a lot of what is wrong with our world today. The idea of having a television morph into a mirror is even worse since it is an exhibition of shame, of knowing it shouldn't be there but not being able to help oneself.

+1000. I have been on a jeremiad for the last couple of years about the sportsbarification of restaurants. Increasingly, even decent restaurants are plastering their walls with flat screen TVs. I find the idea that people might go out to eat together and then spend their time staring at some random sporting event on a giant screen both offensive and stupid.

Having said that, a friend of mine came up with the most clever home solution I have run across. In essence, he turned his TV into a window. He even framed it. In addition to standard TV fare, it is set up to display the internet. This is both practical and aesthetically interesting. He might pull up the weather report or he might have it display a webcam feed or a particular work of art.

The webcam thing is probably the most interesting. Having a window in your living room that looks out on Istanbul or Times Square or a mountain lake is deeply compelling, even fascinating. In a way it is the opposite of TV.

Is there a reason why everyone seems to keep their remotes in wicker?

Not really, some people keep them in fryer baskets instead.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

is it you and the Bouroullecs like me and Morrison?

They are pretty awesome. I am not religious about it like you are, but I appreciate the very delicate touch they imbue everything with. I generally like things to appear as light and airy as possible. Also, there is very little if any irony in anything they do. I like earnest design.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
we have this on our kitchen table. Might use it for remotes though.

4815_photo_1_1312410996.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads