Apartment foo-nishing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

If Matt has a fireplace, I'll go out on a limb and say it likely does not have a mantel.

I can't see too many situations where a mirror would be used in the exact same situation that a TV would be used in.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

That's why I tossed in "focus wall." My fireplace currently has a (fugly) mantel and I plan to remove the mantel and change the firebox insert in the next couple of years.

3. SkinnyGoomba

We don't have a mantel, I like it that way. They always end up being a landing spot for tchotchkis.

4. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ceiling over the bed.

5. SkinnyGoomba

LOL.

Thank you dopey, for your insight.

6. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I'm just quoting this so that there will be evidence of its existence after you dot-dot-dot the original post.

Problem is, remotes are ugly and lend to clutter.

Are we really so deep into StyleForum-la-la-land that we are pretending it's plausible to have a living room without television as a central feature? If you have more than one living room (family room plus living room, for example), it can be done. My parents have never had a TV in their living room--but we also did not do much living in there.

Eww. And not inherently.

Oh fuck no.

Seriously. You two need to go to some sort of re-education camp. I'm normally against that sort of thing, but not in this case.

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i want a projector instead of a TV

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Where do you guys keep your Real Doll when you have company?

9. dopey

If you apply this principle to inform your guest list, I will be the only one invited; and I haven't even been invited.

10. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

You're invited, with the caveat that even breathing the air in our apartment would be un-kosher.

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

No, it won't mean that. Mirrors can be antique, etched, have special frames etc. We have a mirror with a one off burnt antique frame in the foyer, and I like that while if it functioned as a mirror rather than an exhibition of the frame I would not. So it wouldn't mean that.

That said, I don't like televisions in public areas. I think they signal a lot of what is wrong with our world today. The idea of having a television morph into a mirror is even worse since it is an exhibition of shame, of knowing it shouldn't be there but not being able to help oneself. On top of that, it would likely be a shitty mirror and be in the shape of a TV rather than one conducive to being a mirror. So I would hate, and I would judge, but it wouldn't make me reject a house completely just like I like some houses with TVs in the living room.

FWIW, I have, for my own house, rejected putting anything above a mantle.

12. dopey

I don't get that. While we don't do it, I don't see what is wrong with a group of friends watching television or movies together. Why does that speak ill of society.

A few months ago, we wanted to show a friend of ours, who doesn't see many movies, the Matrix, plus our daughter had never seen it - I had to bring the large screen LCD from my office into the living room and figure out how to drive it and a set of speakers from my laptop - it was fun, but a PITA and I am sure people who have a permanent AV setup in their livingroom would laugh at me and say "I told you so". (Usually, we just watch TV shows or movies from laptops).

13. SkinnyGoomba

We just move more chairs into the study if we want to watch a movie/TV with people.

Most of the time we just have conversations with guests and turning a TV on seems to kill any sort of interesting conversation that is happening.

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I understand it is a bother, but far too few people interact in human ways and just sit and veg out in front of the TV. Also, the TV arms race is disconcerting especially when people re-up on a bigger size in lieu of paying their bills. A TV isn't always bad, but I do think its prominence signals what is wrong, it isn't necessarily wrong in itself. I don't mind dragging out my laptop if I need to show somebody something.

/fuumatt

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I do not want that particular mirrored TV I just wanted to post a contrad version.

Oddly enough I plan to have a large mirror on one wall of our foyer too.

As to the rest I don't really disagree but that does not mean I'm not going to do it. Our public space room is very bright and large with nice outside views; it's a great place to spend time in. A TV of this nature would indeed be an attempt to hide a TV but I cannot see making us spend our TV/movie viewing time in a far smaller room with no view merely to hide the fact we indeed have a TV and actually watch it. I view furnishing homes as a compromise between taste (or in mine lack thereof), cost, and liveability.

Also, we do not turn on the TV when guests are over.