Apartment foo-nishing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

Off you go. See ya 'round Labor Day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  2. GreatHighway

GreatHighway Senior member

are there any windows in this room?

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Yes, on the wall between the TV and sofa.

4. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

For goading foo into throwing hypocritical accusations of obnoxiousness and myopia, StephenHero is awarded 1000 Internet points.

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

6. mafoofan

You know, I have the worst experiences with French posters, French-loving posters, and posters with French screen names. Is something wrong with me, or the French? If only the world had an opinion on that already.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

SH, honest question here:

So would the randomness of the bar counter in my home be beautiful and honest? Anyone that knows me knows alcohol, in all its various forms, is something that is a part of my life on a daily basis and that I appreciate like few other people. Would the uncontrived expression of bottles, equipment, and paraphernalia become a "good" interior?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  8. mafoofan

Pio, take a look a these interiors he's posted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ask yourself, are the objects randomly placed? Are these interiors without contrived decoration? Taste has got nothing to do with the language of "honest living" or whether a setting is "contrived."

What SH succeeds at is finding well-photographed interiors with pleasing colors, forms, and textures, and which avoid expressions of uninformed preferences (see the ugly interior he posted in this thread for an example of what I mean). However, the truth is, each is heavily contrived. They would not be great spaces if they were not.

9. GreatHighway

GreatHighway Senior member

is it a window or a glass door leading out to a balcony? if it is just a window I would switch the placement of the two lamps. the felt lamp seems more reader friendly. if possible I would move the tv left and place the chrome lamp next to it to free up that corner space. I would then turn the coffee table 90 degrees and put it against, or just near, the wall with the window. if sitting in the chair or on the left side of the sofa (left most place while seated) magazines will be out of reach but I wouldn't mind having to put in a little more effort to pick up reading material in order to free up the floor space there. in this arrangement people on the sofa may now stretch their legs out also. if it is a glass door and not just a window this will not work, though. I would still switch the lamps. just my suggestions and what I would do if it was my room

10. mafoofan

Thanks, GH. The window opens up onto a sort-of-patio, but you should think of it just as a window.

The problem is that the sofa cannot move from where it is. Ideally, you are right, the felt lamp should go in that corner--between it and the window. However, moving the sofa south enough to accommodate a floor lamp will have two unacceptable consequences: (1) it will move the seating far off-center versus the television, and (2) too much intrusion into the dining area, not leaving enough breathing room for the dining table and chairs.

The TV cannot move. It is sitting on a console within a built-in alcove. That's why the Mirror Ball lamps can't go in that corner. No room.

After all the blowhard nonsense, I truly appreciate your engagement.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

This thread is why I've stayed out of MC for years.

12. StephenHero

You exhausted your allotted stupid questions to ask me a long time ago. Insert coins to continue.

13. StephenHero

Jesus, you're really hopeless. No $1,800 accent lamp is going to help you escape the poverty of your efforts.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Well, that nicely avoids answering a question based upon your stated premises here. So let's offer up an SH deconstruction but apply it to an SH picture of good taste.

So from this can we decide:

1) It was determined the book needed a rest.
    2) To give the book a comfy rest a pillow was needed for it to lay on
    3) The people living there needed a rest too, but as the book was already resting on the furniture, a pillow was added to the floor.

15. StephenHero

Pio, what are you good at? Because it's not this.