Apartment foo-nishing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Gas. Still very expensive, even in this so called natural gas boom time we are living in.

Plus, a paid 5 figures to have the whole house insulated and that has availed me ... I don't want to say "nothing" but not much ...

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I like that in Russian airports, they give you little plastic things to wear on your feet when you have to take off your shoes for security. You take off your shoes, put these on, and walk 50 feet to the other side, where you put these plastic things in the trash and put your shoes back on. It's absurdly wasteful, but shows how committed Russians are to cleanliness.

I've had to do this at open houses as well. If you're hunting for an apartment, you have to take off yours shoes at these apartments and put on little plastic baggies, which are then disposed of after you've toured the place.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I guess it's time to replace the windows too, then. :(

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I actually have a big box of hospital scrubbies I keep for workman that might have to enter my house. For example, we get a yearly termite inspection, and he walks the interior perimeter of the house. Who knows what chemicals are on the soles of his shoes? On goes the scrubbies.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

i have poasted it in dumb threads.

7. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

8. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Only if they are indoor heels.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

:blush:

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i like the muji slippers idea.

11. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Once you start requiring adults to take off shoes where does it end? Do you check their fingernails for dirt before inviting them in?Do you provide "indoor" gloves? Do you just hose them down silkwood style? There are so many entry points into a household for bacteria, once you start asking questions I don't know where it would logically end. Shoes are just the tip of the iceberg and I've never noticed a correlation between shoeless households and cleanliness.

As for "those who wear shoes in the house" walking around barefoot - the answer is yes, all the time. I wear shoes when guests are over, and occasionally when they aren't (for instance after putting them on in the morning before work, and after coming home from work before taking them off. It's really not rocket surgery - at some point I decide to go house casual and off come the footwear. And to answer your question, I feel great about it. I feel better about it then I would feel walking barefoot in anyone else's home, particularly because I know my guests aren't walking barefoot in my house and because we don't allow dogs in the home.

12. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

We have one with no sofa underneath. It's an art thing.

13. mafoofan

You're kidding, right? Not-wearing-shoes-indoors is a clearly established social custom. Some adhere to it, some do not. There is no slippery slope that leads to delousing house guests.

As for cleanliness--it makes a huge difference. It is more obvious in carpeted homes, but hardwood gets grimey and soiled, too. The owners of the condo we are renting used to wear shoes in it. Just glancing at the wood floors, you might not be able to immediately tell. But spritz some cleaner and wipe . . . it's horrifying. Our own floors never get even remotely that dirty.

Speaking of "rocket surgery," it shouldn't be hard to fathom how much filth one tracks into one's home on his shoes. Some of us clearly don't think it's much of an issue, or have other reasons to prefer otherwise, but you can't seriously think wearing shoes indoors doesn't significantly impact the cleanliness of your floors.

Anyway, like I said, if guests are dressed-up in nice clothes, they of course are encouraged to keep their shoes on if they prefer. We just scrub the apartment afterward. For casual get togethers, I think it's okay and normal to expect the shoes to come off.

14. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

It helps to know people from SF because they all have awesome shoes that you'd be honored to have track mud on your floor.

15. mafoofan

Does the OneShoe qualify? Fair warning: lots of extra mud tends to get caught in the storm welt.