Apartment foo-nishing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

we have a tiny dirt devil, which is really meant only for lint and loose fibers. of which there are many.

2. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Is this an American or regional thing?

3. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

In law just got that mini Dyson. Superfluous purchase, but man.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

A dirt devil?

As to shoes in the house, I have no idea. I haven't been asked to take my shoes off in more than a couple of houses in my life, so I can't say.

5. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

We have white floors so we tried to keep shoes off in the house, but after the first party we decided to just say fuck it and embrace the worn in beach house vibe.

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Only required if you marry Asian.

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

Nothing looks more ridiculous than a bunch of people dressed for a party in their stocking feet. I've been to a few of those.

It is/was a working class thing. And a northern thing.

Wasn't there a huge thread about this?

lefty

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  8. SkinnyGoomba

Southern Bourgeois parties require shoes?

I have velvet slippers for the house that can't leave the house.

My northern bourgeois parties only require slippers.

9. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Being both of these answers my question, I suppose.

10. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Just figured out the quote feature on the ipad. SF is faster but harder to post with on one.

11. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

We do not wear shoes in our home. It was how I was raised, but also how my wife grew up. The difference is that not wearing shoes indoors was normal in Maryland, where I'm from. The vast majority of my friend's families didnt wear shoes indoors. None of the Asians, and maybe 70-80% of non-Asians. On the other hand, from the sound of my wife's experience in California, it was typical to wear shoes indoors and it was just that her family didn't do it. Maybe it is a coastal thing. It is most definitely at least an Asian thing.

Personally, I find wearing shoes indoors terribly disgusting. All the junk on your soles from outdoors . . . it seems incredibly unsanitary.

Yet, if my family was ever throwing a party and guests were dressed up for it, they would of course keep their shoes on. My mom would just obsessively clean the floors the day after. Also, understanding that some people want you to keep your shoes on, I was always taught to look to your host as an example, and ask if you really don't know.

Hence, one of the first things I always heard from a guest or asked as a guest was: "Shoes on or off?"

Well, just like you keep the bedsheets clean for your guests, so too should you keep your guest slippers clean. Your guests should trust that you've done so.

Californian hippie culture has taken you.

I hear Canadians universally wear shoes indoors. But maybe that is just a dirty rumor.

In the U.S., it seems to me both regional and cultural. Like I said above, every Chinese, Korean, or Japanese American house I've ever been to has been a no-shoes zone. Usually you are offered slippers if you prefer not to walk around in your socks or bare feet. However, most of my non-Asian friends in Maryland also didn't wear shoes indoors. It was the odd household where it was done.

Well, if you have a party where people are dressed up, they should keep their shoes on if they like and you should clean up whatever they leave behind. But normal day-to-day living, and with casual guests, I think it's perfectly acceptable to expect the shoes to come off.

I don't think class has got anything to do with it. In fact, I'd say that generally the less well-off the household I've visited, the more likely shoes are to be worn indoors.

12. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

You might be thinking of the Quebecers. Don't know what's up with those guys.

We had similar experiences growing up with the shoes-in-the-house thing. Whenever we'd go to a friends house or to a party, the default was to remove shoes unless the host said "don't worry about it"- and even then you're like 12 or 13 years old coming in the back door for a pepsi and immediately leaving again.

All I know is that in the Cosby house and the Tanner house shoes were worn indoors and nobody used the bathroom.

Anyways, what you've got set up in the house is good. I obviously have a very different perspective than you, but I wouldn't fill your house with all brand-new items. If I personally did that, I'm not sure that I'd feel entirely comfortable... Something to be said about having that ugly bookshelf or that teak table nobody else in the family wanted. Though, if you're from Maryland and that's absolutely impossible... hit Craigslist? A shop that carries re-finished furniture? I like character pieces, but I don't want to have to recite the magazine or website description every time someone asks about it.

13. SkinnyGoomba

Don't you people wear house coats and slippers? I remember Manton mentioning that he did.

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

We've never been a shoes-off household, but my children have pushed us to the brink of conversion. I wouldn't ask my guests to take theirs off, but as a day-to-day thing, I'm becoming sold on the benefits.

15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I did, later on in the day. I had stiff RL cordovan loafers, you had soft Adidas tennis shoes.

you correctly mocked me for the indiscretion, but my feet did not care.