1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Apartment foo-nishing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

People who live honestly don't throw away their trash. Everything is consumed or stacked in the living room, not for display, but because enlightened people understand that random stacks of stuff are the optimal forms of practical organization.

1 person likes this.
  2. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Well, of course. If you live in a studio apartment, or even a small apartment, the calculus is different. Your living room may well be your study. And by "public area", I mean places that are intended for entertaining guests. It doesn't mean that you can't use it, too.

Living rooms are intended for entertaining guests. That's why you have capacity for multiple seating. Bedrooms are not intended for entertaining guests. That's why you probably have either zero or one chairs in it. . . . Well, actually, being a randy franchouillard modasse, Fuuma may well intend his bedroom as an entertainment venue, but that's not important right now.

BTW, this points out the biggest problem with SH's aversion to bookshelves. If you do have a lot of books and live in a small flat, stacking them on the floor is an incredible waste of valuable real estate. If you have a six-foot tall bookshelf that takes up four square feet of space, it holds a lot of books. If you stack those books on the floor three feet deep, they are going to take up eight square feet. If you stack those books on the floor six feet deep, you are a moron.

Especially this one, which seems to be an empty frame.

As above, by "public" I mean a place where you intend to interact with guests. It doesn't mean you have to forbid guests from the rest of the house. If you want to invite a guest into your study, go for it. What I'm talking about is those pictures of these living rooms with books stacked everywhere. Living rooms are the primary space for entertaining guests. When you fill up your living room with books, they are not there for entertainment purposes. They are there to say "Look at all the books I have. I'm real intellectual!"

http://www.booksbythefoot.com/

Now once again, circumstances alter cases. If you buy a house that has a bunch of built in bookcases, you would be a fool not to use them. If you have limited space and your living room has to multi-task, I get that completely. But if you are going out of your way to stuff your living rooms with books rather than some other part of the house, you should ask yourself why.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

no doubt in some cases that is true. but what if you really love books and find them beautiful? (hint: i'm old). I've collected books for 30 years and find them beautiful as objects as well as for their contents. is this honest living? besides, my study and my library are already filled up.

4. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I like to display tons of books because I want people to know what my parents got me for Christmas.

Then we go back to the man cave and watch the second half.

1 person likes this.
  5. mafoofan

You guys are thinking about this the wrong way. Whether you keep your books on a bookshelf or stacked up on the floor, you could just as easily be accused of trying to show off your books either way. So, who gives a fuck which conveys what message to which internet personality? The important questions are whether you like your books, and which is the most effective way to store them for your usage. That is how to live honeslty--not following rote rules from an angry man-child who lives in his mother's basement that condemn the use of shelving.

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

anybody else have "the book of big boobs"? I'm trying to integrate literature that is more in line with my interests as I pursuit honest living.

1 person likes this.
  7. mafoofan

I'm sure you can get something like that at Taschen, but it may come bundled with a penis book.

8. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

Don't get the penis book, the veins look photoshopped.

9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

hmmm :confused:

10. mafoofan

Nobody likes fake veins.

11. origenesprit

Honest veins are the best veins.

12. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

This is a turn I did not expect for this thread.

2 people like this.
  13. origenesprit

I'm pretty sure this thread has been about dicks the whole time.

3 people like this.
  14. mafoofan

Well-known fact: the phallically disadvantaged tend to compensate by stacking things as high as they will go.

15. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

:nodding:

16. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

is not stacking books bad for the books, or is that just one of those stuffy things your parents tell you so that you will put them back on the built-ins and not leaving them lying around looking like a poorz?

17. mafoofan

I've bought my wife some first prints of some of her favorite books over the years. Antique book shops always tell you that stacking them horizontally is bad for the spines.

1 person likes this.
  18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

My mother has been on an antique book buying binge lately. Spent probably in the 5 figure area. Dad's pissed.

19. mafoofan

Ask her about how she feels about stacking.

20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think the issue has ever even entered her mind, but I will be sure to make her neurotic about it now.