1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Apartment foo-nishing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Don't mistake me for being an expert in built-ins. I am a hobbyist furniture maker.

The questions I would ask your contractor would be at a bare minimum what kind of materials he plans to use for the carcass and the joinery he will use to put together the carcass. I would also ask about the materials, joinery and slides for the drawers.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was curious about the status of our Lotus chair from Cappellini, which was due to be shipped to us by the end of this month, so I called the vendor.

Apparently they shipped it to the wrong address last week. They neglected to send me any notice that it had been shipped and have no idea where the package went. Brilliant.

1 person likes this.
  3. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Time to find a different status symbol to parade around the internet I guess.

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I bet someone's happy

@ bawlin, if its an ikea unit, it's most likely mdf, if I remember correctly you live in Sweden right?

If yes, get kvänum to do quote for you.

5. furo

furo Senior member

Tbh, I think this is largely a product of the culture you live in. In all the times I've been in Manhattan, I can count on one hand the instances when customer service was anything above mediocre. I notice it here as well when comparing service in Boston compared to service just outside of Boston. Same goes for my time in and around LA. World of difference on average.

The employees get inundated with brand-obsessed customers who throw money around to get things done, and when things go wrong, big deal, more money gets thrown at the problem.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

What's your point? Mafoofan and others should stick to Ikea and overstock.com?

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

at this point, it's humor. for me, at least.

8. mafoofan

Let's see how funny you think it is when your chairs arrive in the wrong color or splattered with paint and the manufacturer tries to convince you that it's due to variations intrinsic to natural materials.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's called a Proust Chair.

10. mafoofan

I suppose one chief virtue of that chair is that it is so wacky that it cannot go wrong. If it arrived split down the middle, its message would arguably be all the more profound.

That is, assuming it arrives. Evidently, we cannot take that for granted.

11. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

the proust chair is awesome.

along the same lines, I think my LC3 would look pretty awesome in purple. Since all covers are removeable, I bet it could be done easily.

12. mafoofan

Purple LC3? Eww.

It would look like you skinned Barney.

1 person likes this.
  13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

14. mafoofan

^^^ Does not help make the case.

1 person likes this.
  15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Sort of want a LC2 in cord.

16. furo

furo Senior member

Really? That's your conclusion from what I posted? The point is that you can't expect much in the way of 5-star customer service when you buy from these types of shops in megalopolises where tons of cash are blown on a daily basis. It's why I prefer to go to the smaller retailers outside of the city where I can get the same (or nearly the same) quality products from people who actually give a shit about their customers.

I just got a desk delivered last week (from a major retailer close to me, but outside of the "beltway") and within three hours I received a call from the salesman asking how it looked, the condition, if there were any issues, and if he could be of any further assistance. You rarely get that kind of a call from a big city operation.

17. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

I've never had a problem with shipping of anything ever in London.

I reckon Cappellini is just in that sweet spot of not being upscale or big enough to have truly five-star service, and being too big/corporate to offer the kind of exceptional and personal service that small firms do.

18. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Purple takes a brave soul. Mines in black, but I think I plan to do tan for my lc2 sofa in the works.

19. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

20. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

yeah, just like that. but no green frame, chrome.