1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Apartment foo-nishing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ours were bought somewhere not online. Lkely Jerusalem and I know that is where I first saw them. See the three "candles" inside this lamp?
    [​IMG]
    Ours are similar but bulb shaped. We have six. Also, they have a hole on the side for filling so the wicks don't need to be removed. I looked not-that-hard and couldn't find the exact ones online.

These are not as nice, especially the wick assembly, but is a similar idea: http://www.northwestglass.com/shop/charming-pegged-teardrop-glass-oil-candle/
    Obviosly, you needn't use the colored paraffin. And they are cheap.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like my Napoleon candle better.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Very interesting, though only the original quote seems to be from a Japanese architect. The rest is from some American trying to interpret it. Per this article, if Foo wanted to make his apartment more wabi sabi, he should put his carpet on the couch.

I didn't really agree with this.

An old car left in a field to rust, as it transforms from an eyesore into a part of the landscape, could be considered America's contribution to the evolution of sabi. An abandoned barn, as it collapses in on itself, holds this mystique.

I don't think junk would meet the definition of "sabi" whatever it is. In Japan, there seem to be two kinds of sabi -- which, I guess, are really only one thing I don't understand. The first is transient perfection/beauty e.g. ikebana, a sunset. The second is something like an antique teapot. But it seems an old teapot is only sabi if it is a particular kind of old teapot. For example, it must be perfectly maintained. It takes on a patina through age and use but the thing itself is not chipped and broken. I understand that the most highly prized teapots have intentional defects, e.g. uneven glazing. But these things are, in a sense, perfect, because they are exactly what the person who made the teapot wanted them to be. You are supposed look through the imperfections or contrast them . . . or something.

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have something like this.

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Yes, I think they make an odd jump with that sort of thing. Even as an American I think that western interpretations of things like wabi-sabi and Feng Shui are very strange and misused to the point of insulting the culture that they are borrowed from.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  6. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Why?

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Napoleon is someone you look up to? (I am sorry, that double entendre was lame and cheap, but that also describes my interior decor so feel good about that.)

1 person likes this.
  8. lefty

lefty Senior member

No '70s home was complete without the Un-Candle by Corning.

[​IMG]

lefty

9. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I did, briefly, in college. My grandmother had this statue, it's actually a scene from the David painting, with N on the back of a rearing horse, but her's was a statue. She gave it to me to decorate my college apartment. I later realized that N was a tyrant but did nothing about the statue. Years later I suggested to my wife that we get rid of it, on pol-phil grounds, and she said she liked it.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Sorry, that was meant for Foo.

11. mafoofan

I don't dislike tyrants simply for being tyrants. Many of the best leaders have been tyrants.

12. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

[​IMG]
    Sic semper tyrranis?

13. SkinnyGoomba

14. Big A

Big A Senior member

You iGents are stuck in park. Let me get you into the fast lane. This is a new school of design cropping up in Miami I like to call "Postmodern Russian Tropical." Let me illustrate the key philosophies so you can add some cutting edge design to your otherwise terminally boring abodes - you can thank me later.

Tenet 1: Mirrored is better

[​IMG]

Tenett 2: anything black must have a reptile skin pattern.

[​IMG]

Tenet 3: unless it's velvet

[​IMG]

Tenet 4: offset the lifelessness of your 70 inch TV with something organic, but spray paint the organic item silver to symbolize man's dominance over nature.

[​IMG]

Tenet 5: If you need to fill up a room with a large piece, make sure it incorporates Swavorski crystals to add visual interest (look closely at the flocking buttons)

[​IMG]

Tenet 6: don't block the view, unless its with a smallish flat screen

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

16. Big A

Big A Senior member

I know I know. I did it from my phone and spellcheck is an unrelenting bitch. I didn't want to make you guys wait for those pictures.

17. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

iPhone? I fucking hate that spellchecker. The spellcheck in WordPerfect 7 was better.

18. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Napoléon was taller than average...

19. SkinnyGoomba

But he had the ego of a much shorter man.

1 person likes this.
  20. mafoofan

On our Bouroullec side table (bubble vase moved to the dining table):

[​IMG]