• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apartment Fire | Help WBaker Get His Groove Back

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's very kind but I'd need an apartment first, luckily I have a temporary apt to stay in through the month. Once I have a more permanent address larger home goods would be very much appreciated.

I'll take some time tonight to get back to everyone on their offers. Thank you all so much

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m really sorry to hear about your loss, @WBaker. I’d be gutted. Need something to keep you warm, you say? I’ll drop a knit in the mail to you. These are all basically unworn. Let me know which one, if any, of these knits you’d like.
L-R: Frank Leder (oversized M, or L), SEH Kelly (tagged L, fits M), Inverallan 1A natural (M but a little short on me at 6’2”). Also pictured L-R: grey Inis Meain scarf, large red John Sterner scarf, A Kind of Guise black lambswool cap.
E1B0F5FA-1372-450A-B224-8F4F7E552BE1.jpeg

I also have some Brooks Bros Black Fleece NWT OCBDs that where going to go to Luxeswap. Tagged BB2, which fits M. L-R white, navy, red stripe, red and blue check.
DCD79490-556D-45C6-800C-712307B79C1B.jpeg

Last edited:

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again I've been so beyond touched by the amount of outreach here. I wasn't expecting anything like it. I want to be careful and only accept things that will go on to have a good long life with me. I'll take time to reach out to everyone. If you don't hear from me by tomorrow at all please message me I may have missed you.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@WBaker sorry to hear about the awful news. I wish you the best.

We don’t overlap on sizes, but I have a pair of NIB CDG x Spalwart trainers in size 43 (US 10) listed in B&S. Happy to send them to you if you can use them.

Alternatively, if someone here within CONUS would like to purchase them, I will apply 100% of the net proceeds to Ian’s Gofundme.

Last edited:

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@WBaker despite the extreme distress from the fire I’m sure you feel, I hope that you sleep well knowing that the kindness you’re experiencing is a direct reflection of what you’ve contributed to the community and people around you. You’re a good dude.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Patrick R yes the response I've gotten has put things into perspective that I took for granted. I'm so grateful to this community for making me feel respected and loved. Things have been progressing faster because of it, I've been doing a good job not spiriling into what ifs. I am now in a new apartment that I will have for the month and am comfortable/safe. Thank you all again.

Look forward to future fit pics where I will be dressed by the internet quite literally ❤

Last edited:

happyriverz

Reaction score
Damn, I just mailed a bunch of stuff to LuxeSwap this morning before logging in here. If I saw this earlier, I would have sent everything.

The only thing I haven't sent yet is a Griffin Studios down parka. It's from the FW2019 season. It's their annual version of their "sleeping bag" coat.

The outer fabric is black waterproof nylon -- the hood is faux-fur trimmed. It's a size small but oversized, so you can layer, and on me (5'7''), it reaches down just to my knees (about 40'' center back length). This thing will withstand the coldest temperatures, so let me know if you are interested.

I am sorry for your loss -- my old apartment almost burned too, but luckily I smelled the smoke and called the fire department and they were able to put it out before things got too bad. I didn't lose anything like you did though. Hopefully renter's insurance will offset this, but they are a pain to deal with.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey WBaker, I'm glad that your support network is pulling through for you and that you have a roof over your you right now! I can't even begin to imagine what I'd try to salvage in a moment like that.

I'm not sure if these are up your alley, but I have a couple of BNWT shirts that I can offer to send your way. They're tagged as a Size Small, but they are quite oversized so perhaps they can work. Let me know either way!

IMG_20200927_230319.jpg

An OAMC Cascade shirt from SS20, in white. The chest measurement hits 23 inches despite being a Size Small, with the length hitting around 31.75".

IMG_20201015_191515.jpg

This oversized black button-up is from European label House of the Very Islands. Tagged Size Small, yet the Chest is 22" and the length is 36".

And on a side note, the amount of generosity shown from both regular users and affiliates here has been great to see!

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this. What a way to start the year. Not sure if you need shoes, but I have a few pairs of lightly used but good quality lace ups that would work for professional settings. English made, and fairly conservative but solid. Size 10. PM me if you think you could get some use from them.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@WBaker, would any of this be useful to you?

IMG_8634.JPG

Shirts

I think most of these are spring/ summer shirts, but you know, spring/ summer will come around.
  1. Short-sleeved seersucker shirt from Uniqlo x Lemaire, size L (this is actually something I got from Parker)
  2. Short-sleeved Margiela shirt with arabesque print, size 15.5)
  3. Long-sleeved Brooks Brothers Black Fleece leaf-print shirt, size BB2 (also something I got from Parker)
  4. Long-sleeved Spier & Mackay oxford button-down, size 16.5
I'm slightly smaller than you. I normally wear a size XS or S. The shirts I got from Parker are a little too large for me, so they might work for a true medium. I would say the others fit me well and could work for someone between a small and medium.

IMG_8635.JPG

tumblr_oo6128uXXh1qa2j8co4_r1_1280.jpg

Pants

I normally wear a size 30 for pants, so I struggled to find something that would work. I can dig through my closet again, but one option is Stan Ray pants (new and unworn). Stan Ray is a workwear manufacturer based in Texas. Both of these pants are all cotton and labeled a size 32.

I think they actually work better for someone who's a size 30, but my first experience with Stan Ray was actually a size 30 pant, which ran a little too small. However, it stretched out comfortably in the waist after one or two hours. I think these can work for a true size 32. The leg is roomy-ish compared to slim-fit clothing nowadays, but I think works well in workwear outfits (I know that's not your bag, but I couldn't find any pants in my wardrobe that I thought stylistically could work and is in your size).

The pants still have labels on them (that's the white tag you see above), but they can be cut off.

IMG_8619.JPG
IMG_8614.JPG

Knitwear

Again, I normally wear a size XS or S, but these might work for you? Some options:
  1. Melinda Gloss wool-alpaca cardigan, size L (again, something I got from Parker, so comes with approval from one of the best-dressed guys on here)
  2. Stephan Schneider heavy cotton cardigan with hood, size 3
  3. Inis Meain chunky textured knit, size S (but slightly roomy and could work for someone between a size small and medium)
  4. Black 3sixteen cotton thermal, size M

cardigan.jpg

Here's a fit pic of Kyle in the same Schenider cardigan. I don't think it's really a winter piece, but more of a fall/ spring piece for transitional weather. I also thought maybe it would be a comfy thing to wear in your new home, layered over a t-shirt as Kyle has above. Sort of like a shawl collar cardigan for a guy who likes Margiela, Geller, and Schneider. Maybe something you can also wear around the neighborhood.

LTT-Long-Sleev-Thermal-black_1.jpg

The chunky Inis Meain sweater is more of a winter layering garment, I think. The 3sixteen thermal can also be a baselayer. It's a bit too big for me, but I think for someone who's a true size medium, it would fit like the picture above. I know workwear isn't your thing, but I thought maybe it could be useful for winter.

tumblr_oq5ijqjcfA1qa2j8co1_1280.jpg

IMG_8610.JPG

Basics

These are not fancy or covetable by any means, but I thought maybe they would be useful. Just basics: Anonymous Ism marled cotton socks and some textured, white Uniqlo t-shirts. The t-shirts have a slight waffle texture. Everything here is still in its original packaging and completely unworn.

The t-shirts are a size small, but they're a slightly oversized, boxy fit. Kind of like a skater tee. Again, I know that's not really your bag, but thought maybe these are things you can wear at home. The socks are one size fits all and should go with any outfit.

IMG_8632.JPG

Accessories

And how about some things to keep you warm for winter? I have three scarves here and a pair of Red Wing gloves. The scarves are unworn. In the photo above, going from burgundy to tan, they're ordered on levels of softness. I think all three are soft, but the burgundy is much softer than the tan. I can't remember the size of the gloves, but they're basically unworn. The leather is a heavier workwear style and unlined.

IMG_8606.JPG

"Hello Pen Friends"

I know we both share an interest in fountain pens. This stuff will not keep you warm, but I figured maybe it can occupy your mind while you're at home. I'm happy to send along a Lamy 2000 and a Rhodia dot pad. I would offer ink, but since I may be shipping clothes to you, I thought maybe that would be a bad idea. However, if you're not taking any clothes, I'd be happy to take a photo of some ink I have here and send that along. The Lamy 2000 is in perfect working condition. I may also have the original case here somewhere, if that's important to you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads