• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apartment Fire | Help WBaker Get His Groove Back

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Our own @WBaker saw his apartment building engulfed in flames this evening. He's safe and has a place to stay, but left his apartment with just a few possessions. He's not optimistic about recovering much if anything, given the size of the fire.

This was the scene:
IMG_20210114_184224.jpg

With his permission we are starting this thread with the idea that people might post items they'd be willing to send along to him to help him through the present moment.

General sizing: 32 inch waist, small or medium tops depending, and size 10 shoes.

If you've got something that should fit him and are willing to ship it to him, please post a brief description here so that WBaker can get in touch directly.

Or you can can also DM @troika for information on how to get a care package to him or help directly.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d be happy to reopen up our archive sale website just for him to go and find a few things that may fit and we could donate to him

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Thank you @FrankCowperwood and @troika you're both very kind and have me in a decent enough mood given the situation.

I'm fairly certain I'll have lost all of my clothes, among other things I care less about. That said I want to make it clear I'm not at risk of being homeless or completely out of money, luckily I have some lovely people I can count on for help. No one was hurt in the fire that I know of, but it spread across 3 buildings starting in mine. No idea the cause.

That said of course I'd be open to anything you all would want to send. Especially considering how cold it is right now and I have no winter clothes.

@gdl203 I would absolutely take you up on this offer, I'd be okay paying shipping too.

The only thing I grabbed in the fire is my Cloak Grizzly shearling, so that's gonna be more special to me than it already was.

Much love everyone, I feel very loved.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sood I wouldn't stop you, as I could certainly use the money. I have to re buy everything to make a new apartment liveable. That said I want to make it clear I'm not ask risk of being homeless or having any totally disastrous outcome. I essentially lost my luxury goods, and I know mid covid there are folks in more dire straights. Just so you all would be more clear on what your donating to, and obviously I'm not in a place to turn down any help it would be incredibly appreciated.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't mind donating cause seeing your home on fire is a nightmare scenario. If I were in your position, I think I'd be in a fetal position. It's nice and uplifting to see people in a community join together to help out in some way.

I think we're slightly different sizes, but I'm sure I have some things in my closet that might work. I'll dig through my closet over the weekend.

Can't imagine what it would be like seeing my home on fire. Glad you're physically OK, and that no one was physically injured.

true.to.size

Reaction score
So sorry, WBaker. I've had friends and family who have gone through this and know it is tough. Glad you're ok.

I was going to pack up a box to send to Luxeswap tomorrow. I think the clothes will all be a bit too small but will double check. I was going to include some boots in size 10 that might work for you. They're no Margiela or anything... some Frye combat boots in a dark brown. They are really sturdy and don't have much wear. I'm a 9.5/10 and my foot moves around in them a bit too much—probably best for a 10/10.5 (or worn with thick socks). Let me know if you have any interest.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 12.32.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 12.32.17 AM.png
    481.8 KB · Views: 45

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So sorry @WBaker to hear about this. What a nightmare.

Ive just recently sold off a lot of things I wasn't using, but I'll have a second look again this coming weekend.

Stay safe and take care. ❤

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that @WBaker, did you have renters insurance to at least partially offset some of the loss?

I have some Geller stuff from years ago I never wear anymore that's in great condition and hasn't been worn much. I will go through it when I have time.

I also have a bunch of Club Monaco and Nike stuff in medium if you're interested. It's nothing exciting, but I wore it to work years ago when I couldn't wear t-shirt and jeans.

Shoot me a DM or I will send you one in a few days.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noob question, I realized I have a ton of stuff (a lot of it NWT Geller) I can donate. I'm lazy as hell so I never got around to selling it.

What's the cheapest way to ship something? USPS first class mail? Do they provide the box or do you have to buy it? Priority mail includes the box in their flat rate shipping as long as it fits inside but do they even have moving sized boxes for priority?

Would FedEx or UPS be cheaper if I'm sending something moving box sized?

Last edited:

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Priority mail flat rate would probably be the cheapest. They give you the box and you cram it full.

Really appreciate everyones offers. I'll figure out what address I'll be using later today then reach out to you. Thank you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads