• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyway to treat light colored leather/suede sneakers/boots so raw denim doesnt stain?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any sprays or anyother **** to put on white sneakers or suede DB's or whatever type of shoe so that denim doesnt rub off on it and stain the **** out of it. I hate it when my new kicks or boots get blue dye all over the heel area... I have yet to find any info on how to protect against this tho

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
someone should invent something! could prob. make some serious $$$

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taping is the only way to go for now.. But it messes up your jeans.

8bpc

Reaction score
Is a better solution just to wear the bleeders with black shoes until their first wash?

Sherminator

Reaction score
I find that weatherproofing spray minimalizes it somewhat but not enough for me to recommend it. But if the shoes are leather, rubbing alcohol gets rid of most of it.

DBoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djh
He's right...the solution is not to do something to your shoes, it's to do something to your jeans. If you are OK with the look, just cuff your jeans and indigo bleeding is a non-issue. If you are opposed to cuffing, Just put some masking tape along the inside (weft) of the hem (bottom) of your jeans, and it aught to be enough to be a barrier against indigo that bleeds through the weft of the jeans. Obviously, you will have to change the tape every once in a while, or else the indigo will bleed through the tape as well. Hoewever, I find that most bleeding comes from the actual warp (outside) of the denim touching things. In which case, you must cuff or, deal with the bleeding (which is actually an exhaggerated problem, varies in intensity from brand to brand, and is largely fixed by giving your jeans an initial wash or soak after purchase)

fosho78

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djh

Just out of curiosity, how does duct taping the inside/bottom of your jeans mess them up?

StylingUK

Reaction score
I ask the same question awhile ago and as people have mentioned, use tape around the inside cuff. Don't use those clear wrapping tape though since it didn't work for me. They make alot of noise as I walked and easily come loose.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
duct tape leaves a residue that is not always easy to clean

if you have to tape your jeans, why not try the blue tape people use for painting. i don't think there is as much residue there; although the adhesive may not be strong enough.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am just gonna try and spray some **** on them (waterproofing) and see if that helps. I do not want to deal with putting tape on the inside of my denim and there is no way I am giving any of my raws an initial soak or wash as I have done this in the past and was very dissapointed when most of the stiffness and stucture of the jean left with the initial soak.

I have def. noticed the "bleeding" varies from brand to brand, but I thought I heard of something to spray the inside of the pant leg with to make the denim color not rub off on your sneakers, now I jsut gotta search where I saw it on the web...

DBoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
there is no way I am giving any of my raws an initial soak or wash as I have done this in the past and was very dissapointed when most of the stiffness and stucture of the jean left with the initial soak.

The "stiffness" will wear off within a couple months of wear anyways...and the jeans will have to touch water SOMEtime.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads