• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anything else i can do to strengthen my lower back?

kalye

Reaction score
back extensions, what else? of course i need to strengthen my abs too don't i?

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Squats, deads, good mornings, glute ham raise, romanian deadlifts, back hypers, rack pulls, front squats, zercher squats, overhead squats. Quite a few things to strengthen your lower back.

kalye

Reaction score
thanks i do the squats and deadlifts.. i will look into the others..

Egert

Reaction score
Pretty much what has been said here already. In my opinion, people really should focus more on the basics to get their core strength and fitness. I hate the guys who complain about their "lagging biceps" yet they can't do 10 proper chin-ups with their own bodyweight. Or girls who complain about their lifeless thigs/butt yet can't squat their own bodyweight.

What you should do, is focus on basic stuff (6 basic compound lifts):
Deadlifts / Squats / Bench

In addition to that:
Shoulder press / Rows / Pull-ups and chin-ups.

Start working on "lagging" parts when you can:
Deadlift 2x BW
Squat 1.5x BW
Bench 1x BW

:satisfied:

tesseract

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pretty much what has been said here already. In my opinion, people really should focus more on the basics to get their core strength and fitness. I hate the guys who complain about their "lagging biceps" yet they can't do 10 proper chin-ups with their own bodyweight. Or girls who complain about their lifeless thigs/butt yet can't squat their own bodyweight.
In addition to that:
Deadlift 2x BW
Squat 1.5x BW
Bench 1x BW

While this isn't actually bad advice i have seen people who tried this method and in return, gave themselves glaring imbalances. Underdeveloped bicep femoris and neglecting the medial and posterior heads of your deltoids all lead to complications in the future.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In addition to that:
Deadlift 2x BW
Squat 1.5x BW
Bench 1x BW

Agree with this, but personally I think flat barbell bench is a **** movement. Also not everyone can overhead press pain free.

Egert

Reaction score
Yes, used to have some shoulder issues myself as well which worked out - did dumbbells meanwhile.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a lower back "issue" last year (actually, a hip flexor injury that affected my low back). The injury was caused by a leg cramp 18 miles into a 50 mile run in April. Leg cramped, other leg made up for it for 32 miles. Leg became massively tight, hip flexor paid the price a few days later. I could barely walk for more than a month.

Getting over that injury has been a major pain... Core strength and flexibility seem to be the keys. I've got a massive amount more core strength than I did a year ago. My flexibility is still a bit lacking.

Stretching helps. Just make sure you do enough! Core strength and joint mobility help a lot too. For strength, I find these most effective: plank, pushups, kettlebell swings, turkish getups. For joint mobility, look into Z-Health. It seems like voodoo at first, but it actually does work. Also, getting into better shape has helped too. I ran that 50-miler last April at 199 pounds. I currently weigh 178. My next ultra-distance race is in May. It should be a bit less of a sufferfest!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads