• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone Writing off their clothes?

Jill

Reaction score
My accountant has told me in no uncertain terms that you can not deduct clothing.  My wife and I work in the clothing industry, so for us it would be job related, and we still can not deduct one penny.
If it is a sample of your own line, which you are wearing to demo, it is. Gray area, perhaps, but perfectly legal. If you have a home-based business, selling refridgerators, then you are allowed one floor sample for the purposes of demo.

Anyway, see your tax professional. I'll bow out now.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was it Dakota_Rube that suggested writing nearly everything off because even if you get audited you will only be required to pay the taxes you were originally supposed to pay?
No, I don't believe I ever penned those words. IIRC the topic had delved into "fines" versus "penalties" with regard to underpayment of taxes. I stated that I was required to pay the tax plus a penalty (because I had technically underpaid my taxes for that year, plus interest on the underpayment. I am not now, nor have I ever been, an advocate of frivolous deductions.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'll be able to write off my lab coats? I wonder if anyone makes bespoke lab coats.

aybojs

Reaction score
If anyone with relevant experience or knowledge can answer this, how common is it for retail clothing employees to be mandated to wear only the brand(s) of clothes their store carries? On the super low end, Abercrombie has garnered itself a negative reputation for having a (seemingly exceptional) policy to this effect, but I didn't know high end boutiques did this as well. How about single brand menswear retailers like Brooks Brothers?

Just curious since I'm still in the process of frantically trying to get a retail sales job.

As for the case CTGuy cited, it seems like a reasonable person would think the employer's policy would be valid cause for making a write off, at least because it provides a unusually strict industry-specific restriction that one wouldn't ordinarily see in your standard office dress code. But apparently government theft wins again.

armscye

Reaction score
I have been counseled by my accountant to hew to the "required for work and wearable nowhere else" rule. However, years back he approved my three-layer Nomex driving suit as deductible despite its $900 price tag, as a promotional item (company name on the back).

There is a perhaps apocryphal story of actress Ann Margret writing off costumes and being told by the IRS that she could deduct only gowns in which she could dance, but not sit.

Fashionslave

Reaction score
OMG---Tax Court for less than $1500 worth of clothing???What's this world coming to???
crazy.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG---Tax Court for less than $1500 worth of clothing???What's this world coming to??? Â
crazy.gif
you don't think that $1500 is a pretty hefty sum?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(odoreater @ April 16 2005,14:07)
Originally Posted by Fashionslave,April 16 2005,12:29
OMG---Tax Court for less than $1500 worth of clothing???What's this world coming to??? Â
crazy.gif

you don't think that $1500 is a pretty hefty sum?
I think is just some Styleforum sarcasm coming into play
biggrin.gif

I know, that's what threw me off. You can get a zegna, hickey-freeman, gucci, etc. type suit off the peg at that price or 34 Jantzen shirts. I'd spend a day in tax court (pro se) for 34 Jantzens. Even if you pay a lawyer $400, that's still 25 Jantzens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads