• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone with diet and exercise ideas for IBS Sufferers?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm suffering from IBS and I would like to know if people tried different diet and food avoidance to help their symptoms.

Last edited:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have an IBD-d condition. Personally I've found avoiding grain/wheat helpful. Staying away from or limiting at times dairy seems to improve my condition also.

Recall this IBS article on a health sight I frequent.

"How NOT to have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)"

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/01/irritable-bowel-syndrome/

Wheat is not good for me.

It gives me mouth ulcers .

I have stopped coffee, soda and will try to get less wheat in my system.

Thank you for the link.

Reaction score
I have been fighting with Colitis for 5 years now. Everyone has a different set of foods or things that trigger problems. Stress on my body, like not enough sleep or rest is killer on me. As far as foods try cutting out anything that has ingredients that you dont know what they are. All the chemical stuff that is added to almost everything premade. Its not fun but your body will thank you for it.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have been fighting with Colitis for 5 years now. Everyone has a different set of foods or things that trigger problems. Stress on my body, like not enough sleep or rest is killer on me. As far as foods try cutting out anything that has ingredients that you dont know what they are. All the chemical stuff that is added to almost everything premade. Its not fun but your body will thank you for it. 

I hope your Colitis will get better...:)

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have diarrhea-predominant IBS I'd suggest you look into a low FODMAP diet. There is a reasonably good body of evidence for its effectiveness.

BlackToothedGrin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wheat is not good for me.

It gives me mouth ulcers .

I have stopped coffee, soda and will try to get less wheat in my system.

Thank you for the link.

Have you been tested for celiac disease? They recommend that everyone with diarrhea predominant ibs symptoms have an IgA anti-ttg antibody drawn. Doubly true for you with the history of mouth ulcers with wheat

alotofentropy

Reaction score
IBS is a "syndrome". A constellation of symptoms which includes bloating, flatulence, diarrhoea, constipation, abdominal pain and discomfort. IBS develops because of a range of factors which may also interact with each other. For example, anxiety and stress has been implicated as a cause, it is not known wether this is having an effect on the motility of your bowel, or wether this impacts your food and other lifestyle choices which predisposes you to developing symptoms. Your commensal flora, or natural gut bacteria, is also to likely have an impact on you experiencing symptoms, and this microbiome has developed as a result of your environment, the food you eat and your genetics. Your body may also be easily irritated by some foods that you eat. The development of IBS is complicated.

As a lot of things can cause IBS it can often be difficult to resolve the symptoms. Without a doubt the FODMAP diet has had the best evidence for reducing symptoms. This means eliminating a large amount of foods from your diet. I would highly recommend doing this and then systematically and slowly reintroducing foods or food groups to see if they cause worsening symptoms. You need to identify what makes things worse for you.

http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

Buscopan or Hyoscine is great for stopping spasms and pain.
Loperamide is great if you're having diarrhoea symptoms.

You may want to check that it is IBS by consulting your doctor however, especially since you've managed to directly identify wheat as causing you mouth ulcers.

If you think wheat is definitely causing your symptoms, you may want to be tested for celiac disease.

You probably should have a basic screen for a colitis, or an inflammatory bowel disorder, though the overall likelihood of you having something serious is less likely.

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty experienced in this space (it runs in my family, and I have some MD friends). I have found the following helpful:

• Mesalamine for maintenance reduction of the inflammation
  • Avoid *****, oily foods
  • Mindfulness (check out the headspace app)
  • Moderate exercise
  • Eat fewer calories, but more nutritious ones when you do

nmiqiobe

Reaction score
Its not fun but your body will thank you for it.
56.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads