• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone wear anything over their dress shoes when its slushy, rainy, snowy? Like swims

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am starting to work on collecting my "business attire" as I will be needing it in the months to come (finally). One of the items I have been seeing alot of lately on the blogs are those Swims things that slip on over dress shoes to protect them while the weather is ****** outside. Does anybody own any or seen them in person? I am interested in both the low top ones and the boot style ones but they seem like they would be a ***** to get on and off... Is this the best option?

I am so worried about my dress shoes getting shitted up by the slush/snow/ and rain!

The Transporter

Reaction score
I haven't tried the Swims but they do look cool. I wear a size 14 in AEs and regular overshoes don't always fit so I got some neoprene booties with a treaded sole that work really well. Unfortunately, they look like Herman Munster's boots since my feet are so big but that really can't be helped since I'm more concerned about keeping my shoes in good shape. They have a zipper on the side and slip on and off pretty easily.

tlmusic

Reaction score
I live in Michigan, and use Tingley overshoes like these: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1660483/c/3.html They are ugly--but when you're tromping around outside in the slush and salt, who in their right mind cares? You can wear them over leather sole shoes (even AEs or Edward Green) and get better traction and not get your good shoes wet or destroyed. When you get inside, it does take about 15 seconds to take them off. Your shoes will be gleaming and clean, while everyone else's will be all wet and covered with salt.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
I live in Michigan, and use Tingley overshoes like these:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1660483/c/3.html

They are ugly--but when you're tromping around outside in the slush and salt, who in their right mind cares?

You can wear them over leather sole shoes (even AEs or Edward Green) and get better traction and not get your good shoes wet or destroyed.

When you get inside, it does take about 15 seconds to take them off. Your shoes will be gleaming and clean, while everyone else's will be all wet and covered with salt.

those dont look that bad and they are about $100 cheaper than swims!

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
I live in Michigan, and use Tingley overshoes like these: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1660483/c/3.html They are ugly--but when you're tromping around outside in the slush and salt, who in their right mind cares? You can wear them over leather sole shoes (even AEs or Edward Green) and get better traction and not get your good shoes wet or destroyed. When you get inside, it does take about 15 seconds to take them off. Your shoes will be gleaming and clean, while everyone else's will be all wet and covered with salt.
The Swims go on and off even faster, and look better, for three times the price of the Tingley-types I've seen. On the other hand, I wear overshoes outdoors for roughly a quarter of the year, so I still count it as my best footwear purchase ever. The esthetics are nice enough that I don't mind wearing them, and they've more than earned their keep, if you add up all the uninstalled Topys and ruined shoes I've avoided. Admittedly, my climate is worse for this than most, particularly for dirty and salty snow and slush in the streets.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore my swims for the first time this season today
smile.gif

Southern Cal may get a different season yet!

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
The Swims go on and off even faster, and look better, for three times the price of the Tingley-types I've seen. On the other hand, I wear overshoes outdoors for roughly a quarter of the year, so I still count it as my best footwear purchase ever.

The esthetics are nice enough that I don't mind wearing them, and they've more than earned their keep, if you add up all the uninstalled Topys and ruined shoes I've avoided. Admittedly, my climate is worse for this than most, particularly for dirty and salty snow and slush in the streets.

So I take you you have the swims? are they these ones listed on revolve?

http://www.revolveclothing.com/brand...SWIMS.jsp?&d=b

my only concern is that these only cover the lower 2/3 of the shoe still leaving the top 1/3 open to the elements, atleast that is what is shown in the pictures. The Tingley ones at zappos look to cover the whole shoe. As I am sure it is where you live, the winters here in Boston, the sidewalks get covered in dity, salty slush, perfect for destroying shoes! now on the swims site they have a style called the mobster and those look dope and cover all the way up to your ankle.

literasyme

Reaction score
I'm wondering about this, too. The overshoes I've seen in stores here are club-foot-like. Swims look good, but they don't seem to provide adequate coverage, except for the Mobster. Which ones do you use, Lucky?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the low ones, I don't really see the need for the "Mobster" high-tops, although they look good.
green.jpg
DSC01035.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads