• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone want to help me pick my first set of cufflinks?

gmail

Reaction score
I bought a few nice french cuff shirts while I was abroad, but never got around to buying a pair of cufflinks to go with them. Now that I'm about to start my internship, I realized that now is a good time to pick something up. Since I'll be a low level paper pusher (
tounge.gif
), I was wondering if anyone could suggest some moderately priced silver cufflinks on ebay.

I've been browsing for a few days, but I'm just not confident enough with my choices to pull the trigger on something. If anyone could post up some suggestions, I would REALLY appreciate .t
smile.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for a basic set go with a double sided silver knot-style pair.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a nice pair of silver chain-linked bar-style cuff links off ebay recently for 17.99.

They may not be to everyone's taste, but they were worth $20 to me. Either way, I can recommend the seller, who was prompt, courteous and efficient.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I should add that the seller has an off-ebay site with a somewhat better selection (and somewhat higher prices) than what is currently on ebay.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gmail
Anyone have any experience with this seller: http://stores.ebay.com/acarlover1

Sells a lot of Tiffany ware but given the price, I doubt they're real.
laugh.gif

The cufflinks look authentic, to my eye. They're pre-owned pieces selling for around 30% off replacement, which is about the market for Tiffany. While there's a lot of bogus Tiffany on Ebay, this stuff looks authentic.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a low-budget pair:
Shackle3.jpg
These, in acid-resistant, stainless steel can be had for something like $7 in a ships's chandlers. Good as back-ups, I use them like I use silk knots.

gmail

Reaction score
I'm torn between these two:
14239324_xl.jpg
14266089_xl.jpg
Any ideas on which of the two I should purchase? I'll probably pick up the silver knots later when I have a bit more disposable income.
smile.gif

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any ideas on which of the two I should purchase? I'll probably pick up the silver knots later when I have a bit more disposable income.
smile.gif

I'd say the first set...

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm torn between these two

There's a lot of stuff out there, be patient
wink.gif

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want Tiffany, get them. I have two pairs, one silver one gold, and I like them very much. But for the love of all that is holy, don't get a pair that says "Tiffany" so blatantly on them. Not that this is what you are trying to do, but there is nothing worse, IMO, that someone who tries to show off lower-mid-level stuff, that seems to think that it's the top of the line. Girls who carry the "C" coach purses come to mind. Tiffany is not the standard for anything but Bat Mitzvah gifts (or Bar Mitzvah, in the case of my silver pair
smile.gif
). Not to mention, if you like their pieces (and there is no reason not to, it's fine stuff, just not the greatest in fine jewelery), there are some much more interesting shapes, just look at their current collection. Among their classics, the Atlas and Bean lines are always quite nice, and are devoid of names and logos. And don't get the second pair unless your gf has one of those necklaces and you are trying to do "his and hers" jewelery too (in which case you are also *****-whipped, something we can't really help you with here
biggrin.gif
).

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
If you want Tiffany, get them. I have two pairs, one silver one gold, and I like them very much. But for the love of all that is holy, don't get a pair that says "Tiffany" so blatantly on them.

Shoes074.jpg

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Foxx's suggestion is very good, as are Tomasso's Tiffany button links. Also from Tiffany consider their sterling knots (a most versatile set of links), bean and almond shaped links.

For some well-priced, um, derivative designs take a look here.

Personally, I would avoid the 'Tiffany' emblazoned links.

I generally buy vintage from ebay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads