• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone Used MyTailor Recently?

brewstafari

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've seen a few posts from years back (presumably from when the site first opened), but not much recently. Has anyone had experience with MTM shirts from MyTailor.com? I'm not going to try and order a suit online without a fitting of any sort, but I'd like to order a shirt since the measurements are much easier to 'quantify' on the web. I've been getting MTM shirts done for a while and know my measurements pretty well - so I guess the question is - how well will they stick to the measurements, and how will the construction be. I have a decent drop - 38 jacket and a 28 waist. I was very pleasantly surprised by the fabric selection (I have a soft spot in my heart for some of the fancy-stripe twills in the Thomas Mason Gold Line).

Thanks,
KB

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
I've got several shirts and they're great in terms of fit and quality. They also stuck to my very specific specifications (button placement, cuff width, placket width, split yoke, custom collar).

That said, I've never ordered anything from them online, and I have no experience with anything other than their shirts. I would caution you very strongly against buying anything from them -- especially a suit -- online, without a fitting. Joe is in NYC just about every 60 days...why not schedule an appointment? I think he's here in early December, in fact.

brewstafari

Reaction score
Interesting - many of those specifications were not available online (yoke style, buttons, contrast button holes, etc.). I placed an order for a shirt already, so I guess we'll see how it comes out :) - I may try to see him when he's here, though - thanks for the advice.

What is the turnaround time generally like?

jesask

Reaction score
My last couple orders came in about 8-9 weeks.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brewstafari
Hey guys,
I've seen a few posts from years back (presumably from when the site first opened), but not much recently. Has anyone had experience with MTM shirts from MyTailor.com? I'm not going to try and order a suit online without a fitting of any sort, but I'd like to order a shirt since the measurements are much easier to 'quantify' on the web. I've been getting MTM shirts done for a while and know my measurements pretty well - so I guess the question is - how well will they stick to the measurements, and how will the construction be. I have a decent drop - 38 jacket and a 28 waist. I was very pleasantly surprised by the fabric selection (I have a soft spot in my heart for some of the fancy-stripe twills in the Thomas Mason Gold Line).

Thanks,
KB

You know, I hate to be "that guy" (actually, judging from my name, you can probably tell that's not true). But there's been a fair amount of recent discussion on MyTailor that you can find through search:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...light=mytailor

I'm linking the thread above because my posts in it detail my fairly extensive and recent experience with MyTailor/Hemrajani Bros. I'd rather not type those reports out again, so I'm linking them. My thoughts haven't changed much since posting those reports.

To give you the high-level, executive summary:

- MyTailor is great for shirts (once you get the fit right), but not so stellar for suits
- Order something inexpensive your first time, because there's a good chance the fit will suck
- Your second or third order will eventually perfect the fit
- Once you've got the fit down, then you can go hog wild with the better fabrics

Given that there's a learning curve when ordering online MTM (especially from MyTailor), you shouldn't waste too much money on your first few orders.

Other general bits of advice:

- Hemrajani's house style is looser than many of us would prefer, and he'll try to insist on this preference when talking to you; it's up to you to pressure him back for a tighter fit
- The house collar style is a little short; you will want to dial up the length of the collar points if you want a more traditional collar style
- The Thomas Mason fabrics are great, but avoid the low-end fabrics (some of which are poly blends). The sole exception is on your first order or two, to figure out the fit.
- All shirts will come in a little looser than expected when you take them out of the package. This is because Joe builds in some wiggle room for shrinkage. Run new shirts through the washer and dryer about two or three times to shrink sufficiently, then gauge the fit.

brewstafari

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the advice - and for re-typing it :) apologies I didn't catch the earlier post sooner.

Your advice (luckily) seems to go right along with what I requested - I ordered the least expensive poly blend I could find (to guage the fit), and went about an inch smaller in the waist than my best-fitting MTM shirt, expecting it would be a bit larger. I also expected to do only shirts, no suits. I'll keep you posted on how it goes (8-9 weeks seems like a terribly long time for 1 shirt, no?)

Thanks again!

-KBB

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, their turnaround time isn't the best. But it's my understanding that many of the alternatives in HK-based MTM shirtmakers (Jantzen, etc.) take even longer and suffer from the occasional communication- or order-botching.

MyTailor takes awhile, but you can pretty much guarantee that it'll get shipped on or slightly before the date they claim on your order.

evpj2L

Reaction score
I just received an order of 9 shirts. Turnaround time was 9 weeks (which was significantly longer than the previous order I had placed). If you can get measured by one of their traveling tailors (preferably Joe himself) before placing your order, you'll likely be much happier with the results.

Falstaff

Reaction score
I think I've placed around four orders at this point, and I've never had them take anywhere near nine weeks to arrive. It usually takes around five. Maybe they happen to be particularly busy right now.

juuceman

Reaction score
I've placed four orders over two years and always had items ship within six weeks. I've had Joe measure me and take the orders and have moved on from the shirts to suits as well. I'll echo that the first suit was off in a few specific area and we've moved on from there and I've been pretty happy with the cut and fit.

A friend ordered half a dozen shirts for the first time on the last visit to NYC and had the sample shirt in hand about three weeks later.

Coburn

Reaction score
This is an MTM from Mytailor. I've placed three orders -- each arrived in 5 weeks.

I would vigorously recommend being measured by a traveling tailor.

On another thread, several people stated they actually sent some of their better fitting shirts to Mytailor in California along with the measurements. I'd suggest going further and send the shirts, measurements and pictures of you wearing the shirts.

IMG_0585.jpg

Kempy

Reaction score
Hi Coburn, I've been contemplating ordering a shirt and I know you mentioned in a different post your desire for less tie space. I am curious which collar you requested for your shirt? On the website all the collars seem to have very little, if any, tie space. Personally I was looking at the classic spread or English wide spread.

First shirt will definitely be self measured (due to no tailors being in the Seattle area soon) and of the cheaper fabric so I can make adjustments as needed.

spitfirees20

Reaction score
I've been looking to get a test shirt made from their site; what is the cheapest material they have on there? Color doesn't really matter because I'm sure I'm going to want to adjust the measurements for the second shirt anyways.

Coburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kempy
Hi Coburn, I've been contemplating ordering a shirt and I know you mentioned in a different post your desire for less tie space. I am curious which collar you requested for your shirt? On the website all the collars seem to have very little, if any, tie space. Personally I was looking at the classic spread or English wide spread.

First shirt will definitely be self measured (due to no tailors being in the Seattle area soon) and of the cheaper fabric so I can make adjustments as needed.

Originally Posted by spitfirees20
I've been looking to get a test shirt made from their site; what is the cheapest material they have on there? Color doesn't really matter because I'm sure I'm going to want to adjust the measurements for the second shirt anyways.

The most inexpensive fabric is the poly/cotton blend $59. But, that may not be reflective of their true fit because those shirts may not shrink the way 100% cotton will shrink.

I suggest looking under the category "two-ply superfine cotton" > solids, you will see some for as little as $65.

I believe Joe H will be in Seattle in January. If you can't wait, I would try to send pictures along with the measurements. It is very difficult for a tailor to fit a shirt without seeing you in person.

What I meant by tie space (maybe I'm using the wrong term) is the space where the two collar wings meet at the the top -- the space above the tie knot. I'm looking for a collar where the wings meet closer together. That is not a function of the collar style. Collar style is the angle the wings make as they bracket the tie.

In the picture, that is the traditional (Traditional Spread 3.125 X 2). The other notable feature: the collar height and collar length are 1/4 inch longer then the default size on the Mytailor web site.

The English spread is much wider then that one.

It took about three orders to get the fit where I wanted it but, it was worth the effort and the cost. They look so much better then OTR shirts, it's well worth the extra cost.

Best of luck. Let me know how it turns out.

StrataMan

Reaction score
I ordered 3 shirts back in Sept., and am really pretty happy with them. All were Thomas Mason fabric and just over $100 apiece. The fit is a tad looser than I will ultimately like, but that was by design. The measurements are pretty much spot on what I asked for. I'm still trying to figure out precisely what my optimal measurements for shirts will end up being so I erred on the side of conservatism for the first batch. As with the other posters, I would recommend getting measured by Joe Hemrajani himself if possible. I am very pleased with the quality of the construction.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads