• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone use a Rimowa or Halliburton attache in real life?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide on a new briefcase, and am leaning toward an attache. There is a great little shop in West Palm Beach that sells vintage suitcases and briefcases of all types, however, not at bargain prices. they also carry Halliburton and Rimowa. The Halliburton attache caught my eye, but I wonder how practical it is. It is actually cheaper than the green vintage number I have my eye on.

Anyone use an aluminum briefcase? How do they hold up over time? Is it practical? Any advice as to brand?

Thanks for your help.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
I am trying to decide on a new briefcase, and am leaning toward an attache. There is a great little shop in West Palm Beach that sells vintage suitcases and briefcases of all types, however, not at bargain prices. they also carry Halliburton and Rimowa. The Halliburton attache caught my eye, but I wonder how practical it is. It is actually cheaper than the green vintage number I have my eye on.

Anyone use an aluminum briefcase? How do they hold up over time? Is it practical? Any advice as to brand?

Thanks for your help.

- I used to use a Halliburton back in the 90s. I still have it! If you want it, it's your! Just pay for the postage! Let me know.
- I also used to use Halliburton for al my hard-case luggage, now I use Rimowa.. There is a thread about this somewhere.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Is that you, el Guapo? OP, I've carried a 3" Elite in Silver for four years (or is it a little more). I love them, they suit my style, and I rock it hard. Patina on a Zero is not really desirable and I don't treat mine like garbage, even when I fly with it. But they do need that extra bit of consideration -- all the aluminum ones will. I finally got a little dent in it last month, but it's not really noticeable. You have to expect comments along the lines of "how much money is in there?" "are you an assassin?" and the one I get almost monthly now, "are you James Bond?"
jweb2of5.jpg

ccc123

Reaction score
I use mine often (Halliburton), keeps the laptop, safe and sound!

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two Halliburton attaches, a thick one and a thin one, and they are great for protecting the contents. When I am carrying a computer or, say, rare/delicate/valuable paper items, I use one of these. They are pretty waterproof in addition to being strong.

They can be eye-catching -- especially the aluminum ones -- and even cheesy-looking if the rest of your look and act is over-the-top. I prefer the look of leather, but these hard metal cases have their place. They last forever.

ebay was once a good place to get them. The war has done bad things to Halliburton's brand name, and I expect they might come cheaper these days.

Also note that most of the interiors on the vintage Zero cases are vinyl, not leather as often advertised on ebay. I'm not sure when Zero began to do full leather interiors. I think recently -- mid-90s perhaps. All the time, when I was buying these on ebay, I'd see the vintage ones advertised as full leather because the seller was assuming that he had the same model as something he found on the website. I like the vinyl well enough, but you want to know what you are getting if you decide to buy one secondhand.

Motol12

Reaction score
I've used a Haliburton since entering the professional world. It's worked great for me, and I can't endorse it enough.

I would however, second Dewey's statement about a thick and a thin case. Even if you don't want to buy two Haliburtons, in my opinion you'll want to invest a thick case and a thin case.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- I used to use a Halliburton back in the 90s. I still have it! If you want it, it's your! Just pay for the postage! Let me know.
- I also used to use Halliburton for al my hard-case luggage, now I use Rimowa.. There is a thread about this somewhere.

If you are actually trying to give away a halliburton briefcase, I would absolutely love to take it. I am a young. broke student, trying to work my way up as a clerk in a law firm
smile.gif
and this would be a wonderful item for me (I need some sort of decent briefcase)

bryce330

Reaction score
I actually just bought a Rimowa attache case a few weeks ago, and I used a Halliburton for a while a few years ago. The Rimowa I bought is fairly thin (3.7") but big enough (barely) to fit my laptop.

Although they are both aluminum, the construction methods are different, and as a result the Halliburton is far more likely to develop scratches or scuffs, whereas the Rimowa is slightly more likely to get dents. They both look very nice out of the box, but chances are that the Rimowa will look much better after a few years' use.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey

ebay was once a good place to get them. The war has done bad things to Halliburton's brand name, and I expect they might come cheaper these days.

Zero Halliburton is the same as Halliburton Dikky Cheney?

TIEALIGN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ccc123
I use mine often (Halliburton), keeps the laptop, safe and sound!
+1...I have had mine for about 4 or 5 years and it's held up well.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Zero Halliburton is the same as Halliburton Dikky Cheney?
At one time. There was a Zierold Corp which went and bought out Halliburton's (the Cheney one) luggage/case division. These days ZeroHalliburton is owned by some Japanese firm, or so says Wiki. So you're clean. Interesting that ZH's website specifically disclaims any current association with Halliburton Oilfield.

PShow

Reaction score
I have used my Zero Halliburton Elite attache for nearly 10 years. Sure it has the dents etc. but I love it! I own some of the luggage also. Sure it gets banged up but I call them style marks! Everyone always wonders what the hek I am carrying in the case!

beansach

Reaction score

Last edited:

beansach

Reaction score

Originally Posted by Big A
I am trying to decide on a new briefcase, and am leaning toward an attache. There is a great little shop in West Palm Beach that sells vintage suitcases and briefcases of all types, however, not at bargain prices. they also carry Halliburton and Rimowa. The Halliburton attache caught my eye, but I wonder how practical it is. It is actually cheaper than the green vintage number I have my eye on. Anyone use an aluminum briefcase? How do they hold up over time? Is it practical? Any advice as to brand? Thanks for your help.
- I used to use a Halliburton back in the 90s. I still have it! If you want it, it's your! Just pay for the postage! Let me know. - I also used to use Halliburton for al my hard-case luggage, now I use Rimowa.. There is a thread about this somewhere.
This is very very old. I actually found this thread because I like the look of your Rimowa on MostExerent. I greatly admire your aesthetic and ethic. And the integration of the two. If you still have the halliburton and are willing to sell it, I am interested. I am a working student in D.C.- anything leather would look like it was wearing me. Also, I am depressed 2008 was 4 years ago. cheers ben

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics