1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone try this way of eating?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Houndstooth, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

That was a commonly accepted belief in the United States from the seventeenth century until the mid-twentieth century.

Yes. There are many such studies.

I'm not really interested in what the epistemologically worthless disciplines of sociology or cultural anthropology have to say about race. There is considerable support for the hereditarian hypothesis across several academic disciplines.

If the environmental explanation for racial differences were true, it would obviously follow that the differences between races would be significantly tractable. Try finding a high school in the United States where East Asians and Europeans do not significantly perform Negroes and Hispanics academically, over and over again, year after year.

This was the whole premise behind integration. It was said at the time that segregation was the cause of such differences. Well. We integrated our public schools decades ago and have thrown billions of dollars away trying to uplift blacks to equality and have failed miserably.

The reason all those studies come from mid-century and before is because it was found to be based upon a false premise. If you have any recent studies that show distinct racial categories based upon genetics then please go ahead and present them. Just because we intergrated the schools it doesn't mean we made all the environments equal and we all started from an equal playing ground. Certainly blacks and hispanics tend to be behind in terms of poverty compared to europeans and east asians. Again, difference in performance in no way shows those differences are the result of hereditary causes. You mention all this support for the "hereditarian hypothesis" of race, if you have such recent evidence then please present it.

2. alexei

alexei Senior member

3. mizanation

mizanation Senior member

i cosign on all of gradstudent's answers on this topic.

i would also like to see any modern studies that indicate the racial basis for intelligence.

4. Liberty Ship

Liberty Ship Senior member

5. cultpop 0217

cultpop 0217 Senior member

If the environmental explanation for racial differences were true, it would obviously follow that the differences between races would be significantly tractable. Try finding a high school in the United States where East Asians and Europeans do not significantly perform Negroes and Hispanics academically, over and over again, year after year.

This was the whole premise behind integration. It was said at the time that segregation was the cause of such differences. Well. We integrated our public schools decades ago and have thrown billions of dollars away trying to uplift blacks to equality and have failed miserably.

you still have not offered any evidence that these "failures" are genetic and not due to cultural, socioeconomic, or a plethora of other factors or issues mattja..er daedalus.

your theories are woefully outdated. they would be more appropriate in
    1930's berlin.

6. Goblin

Goblin Senior member

I eat "kind of Paleo" when I'm paying careful attention to my diet and "eating clean," simply because the sort of unprocessed foods one eats on a Paleo diet tend to be more nutrient-dense and filling than highly-processed foods. I get more out of 500 calories worth of lean meat and vegetables and a little good fat than I do out of 500 calories worth of white bread and "processed cheese food."

I cast a jaundiced eye, however, on dietary restrictions that forbid things like beans or whole-kernel corn, as many Paleo regimens do. Or even potatoes. Potatoes in moderation are, for me, a fine staple food, and they're not so calorically dense that they should cause a problem on their own. Just cook them in the oven, not in a half-inch of vegetable oil.

Same basic principle with other Paleo-forbidden staples - if your diet is centered on lean meat and vegetables, and you get adequate exercise, then I don't see how a half-cup of brown rice or whole-wheat pasta with a meal will cause your poor primitive GI tract to encase your body in dripping eruptions of unsightly adipose tissue.

Lots of different people get great results through varying combinations of "halfway sensible diet," "halfway sensible exercise," and "hard work."

7. headtowall

headtowall Senior member

Wow...

Congrats to Mizanation and Gradstudent for continuing to discuss with this guy tactfully.

8. Impulse155

Impulse155 Senior member

to long of a read...