• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone try the "Gap Gough"?

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking at those and the Morrison the other day. After a quick visual of the tapered cut on the Morrison I didn't even bother with them. Tried the Gough in my normal 31x32 and the waist was too big. They unfortunately didn't have a 30x32, so I tried a 29x30. A little tough to get on and button up, and a bit too short, but after some intensive stretches in the dressing room they weren't too bad. I still would want to go with 30x32, the 29's were just too tight. The selvage seemed decent for a $98 retail and I think I'd probably buy a pair if I could score them for less.

smw356

Reaction score
denim quality seemed decent, but the cut was pretty loose, sized down 1 to a 33 and the legs were still rather loose on me and I have pretty large theighs.

Max

Reaction score
I sized down 3 from my measured waist size and wasn't feeling the cut. Selvage everywhere, though.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
3? Just how big does this stuff run?
I had trouble with 2 down, 3 would take a work of magic to get into in my case.

smw356

Reaction score
i dunno i think i could have sized down 1 more to a 32 but it would have come damn close to cutting me in half i cant imagine going down 3.

Max

Reaction score
I've been losing weight (217 in Jan 06, 189 this morning) and haven't really measured myself recently, so that may be slightly inaccurate. I tried on a 35. The legs felt too loose.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple of questions for those that have a pair of these.
Did anyone else find that they run long? I got a 33 x 30 and when I got home I measured the inseam and it's 32"!

The tag says "rinsed denim" but the wash instructions say "dry clean only". Does anyone know if they'll shrink a lot if I wash them? I thought since they are "rinsed", they wouldn't shrink.

Last question, anyone know a good tailor in San Francisco that can hem these?

Thanks for any info/ advice.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the impression they oversize the inseams on these. Whether that's for shrinkage or just some flashy cuffing trend, I don't know. Perhaps both.

I saw a post on these over on SuFu, and at least one person seemed to indicate that they're oversized to accomodate for shrinking. Whether that's accurate or not, again, I don't know.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theshonen8899
I never saw these on the site before... http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...389&pid=445263 Are those real selvage denim? $70 for selvage denim is a pretty good deal!
It is, but notice the selection's limited. A few SF'ers have also complained of the boxy fit of the slim selvage so you'd probably want to try before buying.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theshonen8899
I never saw these on the site before...
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...389&pid=445263

Are those real selvage denim? $70 for selvage denim is a pretty good deal!

Yes, those are real selvage. Are those the Gough? When I was in-store they were $99

I believe I tried on the 30s, so I guess I "sized down" 2. (all my other jeans are 30 so whatever that tells you.)

smw356

Reaction score
the goughs I tried on were redline not that funky selvage that the one on the website has. From the picture those seem considerably slimmer than the goughs but pictures can be decieving I guess.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those straight legs don't look that bad. I've never seen them in store though, but I haven't checked for a while. I'd get a 30" inseam instead of the usual 32" so I don't have to cuff to show off that funky selvage crap. The thigh could be a bit more fitted. The Morrisons have the same selvage, but a tapered fit. They were heavy, and I had to size down 3, and they still fit like crap. The Gough had better denim, better selvage, but again, I would have had to size down 3, maybe even 4 to make them look good on me. Also, very boxy as noted. Could be good if you like looser fitting, straight leg jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads