1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone try the "Gap Gough"?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Stylin-1, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

I was looking at those and the Morrison the other day. After a quick visual of the tapered cut on the Morrison I didn't even bother with them. Tried the Gough in my normal 31x32 and the waist was too big. They unfortunately didn't have a 30x32, so I tried a 29x30. A little tough to get on and button up, and a bit too short, but after some intensive stretches in the dressing room they weren't too bad. I still would want to go with 30x32, the 29's were just too tight. The selvage seemed decent for a $98 retail and I think I'd probably buy a pair if I could score them for less.

2. smw356

smw356 Senior member

denim quality seemed decent, but the cut was pretty loose, sized down 1 to a 33 and the legs were still rather loose on me and I have pretty large theighs.

3. Max

Max Senior member

I sized down 3 from my measured waist size and wasn't feeling the cut. Selvage everywhere, though.

4. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

3? Just how big does this stuff run?

5. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

3? Just how big does this stuff run?
    I had trouble with 2 down, 3 would take a work of magic to get into in my case.

6. smw356

smw356 Senior member

i dunno i think i could have sized down 1 more to a 32 but it would have come damn close to cutting me in half i cant imagine going down 3.

7. Max

Max Senior member

I've been losing weight (217 in Jan 06, 189 this morning) and haven't really measured myself recently, so that may be slightly inaccurate. I tried on a 35. The legs felt too loose.

8. Salad

Salad Senior member

Couple of questions for those that have a pair of these.
    Did anyone else find that they run long? I got a 33 x 30 and when I got home I measured the inseam and it's 32"!

The tag says "rinsed denim" but the wash instructions say "dry clean only". Does anyone know if they'll shrink a lot if I wash them? I thought since they are "rinsed", they wouldn't shrink.

Last question, anyone know a good tailor in San Francisco that can hem these?

Thanks for any info/ advice.

9. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

I get the impression they oversize the inseams on these. Whether that's for shrinkage or just some flashy cuffing trend, I don't know. Perhaps both.

I saw a post on these over on SuFu, and at least one person seemed to indicate that they're oversized to accomodate for shrinking. Whether that's accurate or not, again, I don't know.

10. theshonen8899

theshonen8899 Senior member

11. whodini

whodini Senior member

I never saw these on the site before... http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...389&pid=445263 Are those real selvage denim? $70 for selvage denim is a pretty good deal!
    It is, but notice the selection's limited. A few SF'ers have also complained of the boxy fit of the slim selvage so you'd probably want to try before buying.

12. theshonen8899

theshonen8899 Senior member

That's true...
    I'll check it out next time I head to Gap.

13. knucks

knucks Senior member

I never saw these on the site before...
    http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...389&pid=445263

Are those real selvage denim? $70 for selvage denim is a pretty good deal!

Yes, those are real selvage. Are those the Gough? When I was in-store they were $99

I believe I tried on the 30s, so I guess I "sized down" 2. (all my other jeans are 30 so whatever that tells you.)

14. smw356

smw356 Senior member

the goughs I tried on were redline not that funky selvage that the one on the website has. From the picture those seem considerably slimmer than the goughs but pictures can be decieving I guess.

15. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

Those straight legs don't look that bad. I've never seen them in store though, but I haven't checked for a while. I'd get a 30" inseam instead of the usual 32" so I don't have to cuff to show off that funky selvage crap. The thigh could be a bit more fitted. The Morrisons have the same selvage, but a tapered fit. They were heavy, and I had to size down 3, and they still fit like crap. The Gough had better denim, better selvage, but again, I would have had to size down 3, maybe even 4 to make them look good on me. Also, very boxy as noted. Could be good if you like looser fitting, straight leg jeans.

16. CAClifton

CAClifton Member

I have the Gough's. I took the white back patch off. These have excellent detail and tons of selvage (outseam, both coin pockets, back pockets, waist band) and have 5 different colors of stitching throughout. I like the way they fit alot since I have a thicker body style. I wear a 36x32 most of the time, but I bought a 35x30 in these, and they fit well. Ive only been wearing these off and on for about a month.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. thereverend

thereverend Senior member

Those straight legs don't look that bad. I've never seen them in store though, but I haven't checked for a while. I'd get a 30" inseam instead of the usual 32" so I don't have to cuff to show off that funky selvage crap. The thigh could be a bit more fitted. The Morrisons have the same selvage, but a tapered fit. They were heavy, and I had to size down 3, and they still fit like crap. The Gough had better denim, better selvage, but again, I would have had to size down 3, maybe even 4 to make them look good on me. Also, very boxy as noted. Could be good if you like looser fitting, straight leg jeans.

They don't have that same selvage as the morrison's. You can see this in the poster above's pictures; these just have a simple red line selvage.

18. breakfasteatre

breakfasteatre Senior member

i was pretty impressed with the morrison, and at 50 bucks discounted, plus friends and family, and this is cdn money btw, i couldnt resist. I liked the fit much better than the loose gouge

yorkdale gap has the morrison, the gough and the 'red label' jean

19. Coulomb

Coulomb Senior member

[​IMG]

Here's a screenie of the goughs. I really like them. I got them for 70 bucks. That's 30 bucks off retail. I figure 70 bucks for Japanese selvage isn't too bad considering I've paid way more than that for my Samurai's and 'Canes.

The size I'm wearing is 29w 30l. The actual measure inseam is 32.5''. I think they size for a 2inch cuff.

20. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

I can't find the Goughs anywhere, and I could only find the pigment dyed Morrisons, which sucked. This is annoying.