• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone tried Neil Med nasal rinseor their NasaFlo neti pot?? thinking about giving it a go

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have been having some awful breathing issues, apparently sinus related. I have a deviated septum so I am sure that isnt helping but prior to surgery, the ENT's I saw @ Mass Eye & Ear wanted me to try the steroidal nasal spray and using a neti twice a day for a few weeks to see how much relief was gotten.

One of the huge problems, besides not being able to breath, is that at night the only way I can sleep is by stirctly breathing through my mouth...besides jthis just not being healthy, it leads to dry mouth, me having to drink water every few hours, and eventually having to get up to pee several times a night...thus not much sleep and feeling ****** everyday.

Havent tried the steriod spray cause I have heard some bad things about it, the Neil Med stuff seems to be a miracle cure, atleast from the various reviews of ppl Ive seen online...

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Havent tried the steriod spray cause I have heard some bad things about it, the Neil Med stuff seems to be a miracle cure, atleast from the various reviews of ppl Ive seen online...

Nasal steroids, such as Nasacort, Nasonex, and Vancenase are considered very safe by doctors. I've been using them for nearly two decades now with no side effects (that I'm aware of).

Neti pots are awesome and you probably don't need a fancy one. When I first got one after nasal surgery nearly 20 years ago I used it daily for several months. Now I only use it when I'm congested or when I've been in a dusty environment.

I've never used a powered irrigation system, so I don't know how they compare, but if I were you I think I'd try a simple neti pot first and only move on to the power tools if necessary.

Good luck to you.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nasal steroids, such as Nasacort, Nasonex, and Vancenase are considered very safe by doctors. I've been using them for nearly two decades now with no side effects (that I'm aware of).
Neti pots are awesome and you probably don't need a fancy one. When I first got one after nasal surgery nearly 20 years ago I used it daily for several months. Now I only use it when I'm congested or when I've been in a dusty environment.
I've never used a powered irrigation system, so I don't know how they compare, but if I were you I think I'd try a simple neti pot first and only move on to the power tools if necessary.
Good luck to you.

Yea, the stuff I heard about the nasal steriods were just from family members or friends, many had no problems, a few felt like it caused some anxiety even tho most ENT's insist not much gets absorbed into the body, and someone said they havent been able to stop using it since theyve been on it so long (would really like to avoid this)

I actually just ran to the store and picked up this one:http://www.drugstore.com/neilmed-nasaflo-neti-pot/qxp164302

with theisotonic packets and some distilled water to use... gonna try it once in a.m. and once before bed for a few weeks and see what happens.

I am still probably going to get the surgery to fix the deviated septum, I am sure that will help things in the long run. I have a sinus CT on tues. to make sure there are no hidden issue going on.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...gonna try it once in a.m. and once before bed for a few weeks and see what happens.

Good plan. I recommend doing your evening irrigation at least an hour before bedtime. Unless you sleep very still and on your back, you'll want to give yourself time to drain before lying down.

I am still probably going to get the surgery to fix the deviated septum, I am sure that will help things in the long run. I have a sinus CT on tues. to make sure there are no hidden issue going on.

In my case the CT scan showed extremely narrow and kinked sinus passages which the surgeon was able to widen and straighten somewhat. Once I healed I was stunned to discover what it was like to breathe like everybody else (more or less). I'm not ashamed to admit that I wept a few times out of joy and gratitude. I wish you a similar experience.

By the way, these are great, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads