• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone tried Bonobos.com?

tommboy

Reaction score
Anyone ever buy any pants from Bonobos.com? How was the fit and quality? Would your recommend them?

GQBaller

Reaction score
Bonobo?

bonobo.jpg

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering the same thing. They have slacks both bootcut and straight-leg - - they are just a bit funky, without being too skinny, too low-rise, too fashion-forward, etc.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried a pair of the Pluperfects wool/cotton blend trousers a few months back. Here are my thoughts on them and the company....

They had nice looking fabric and construction quality appeared to be good. However, the fit was a lot baggier on me than the pictures on their web site suggested. Additionally I did not care for the boot cut, however the amount of boot flare at the bottom was minimal.

In the end I returned them because they were not slim fitting enough for me personally. I would say they are designed for the average American male whom is about 30 lbs overweight. If that's you and you don't mind a more relaxed fit, you might like them. But if you're slim like me, you'll find they fit you fine in the waist but are far too big EVERYWHERE else. I'm 5'10" 145 lbs with a 30" waist and they looked like baggy clown pants on me! So if you're slim, don't even bother trying them.

On the positive side the company has really good customer service and will refund your full purchase price FOR LIFE should you ever become dissatisfied. They really have the best return policy possible.

I feel the prices posted on their web site are a bit overpriced, however you can stack on both a coupon code and a "partner code" during the checkout process. I was able to get around a 30 to 40% discount using these codes.

Personally, I don't recommend the Bonobos. However, I am trying to give a fair assessment of them rather than bashing them like everyone else does on SF. The one pair of pants I tried were good quality (although I had tested their most expensive product), so I could see how some people might like them, but most SF members will probably not care for them.

jpb

Reaction score
I have two pairs of cords. I like them a lot, but I wear boots all winter in Moscow so I like more of a bootcut. I doubt I'd wear their wool or lightweight models as I like a tapered cut in the summer.

BB1's comments on fit are the opposite of mine. They are really slim cut, not skinny, which I would call 5'10 and 145. I am 6' with a 31" waist at 177 lbs and they are snug on me.

The service is very good. I emailed them about sizing and the replies were more or less instant.

shasta

Reaction score
Sorry I'm late to the party on this one guys, but I"m really hooked on these pants - especially the cords and the higher end wool line. I was very apprehensive about the prices, but as has been indicated, discounts are not hard to come by - I believe code "hooper" right now at checkout will get you 15% off.

They've now gone with the zappos model - free fed ex shipping and free returns. If you're thinking about giving them a try, it really can't hurt.

I've always had a tough time finding off the rack pants that fit me well, these have really helped out my wardrobe.

trailer36

Reaction score
hey guys, my buddy is one of the designers for bonobos and he tells me that he is working on trying to develop a non-bootcut line of trousers to appeal to those who dont like that cut. he is the one who designed the new swim trunk line and he told me they are launching a polo line really soon. slim and fitted without being too tight like Polo Custom fit.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A guy I used to work with called them the '****-monkeys'.

shasta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trailer36
hey guys, my buddy is one of the designers for bonobos and he tells me that he is working on trying to develop a non-bootcut line of trousers to appeal to those who dont like that cut. he is the one who designed the new swim trunk line and he told me they are launching a polo line really soon. slim and fitted without being too tight like Polo Custom fit.

That's exciting! I believe they already have many straight leg non bootcut styles through, so are they expanding even further?

Really love the quality of their work, tell him to keep up the good work!

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to make a habit of plugging the site I write for here (OK, except for days ending in "Y"), but we just posted an interview and article on Bonobos yesterday. I was personally REALLY skeptical when I first read about them (boot cut, expensive, silly name, etc) but decided to give it a shot when they came out with a straight-leg line. The fit is really nice (although not for everyone) and I can't say enough about the quality of the materials. For the record, I paid full price before contacting the company. The idea to do an interview came later.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the capertons.

pros:

Fit, the curved waist band and ass-fit truly make a difference for me and they're quite slim
length, (from 34 and up) it's quite long and certainly long enough for my 6'6" frame

cons

Fabric, What they call mid-weight, I call rather light-weight. The 'hills' of the corduroy are more little squares lined up, than continuous lines which makes it all less neat.

Will buy again.

Their new swim wear seems rather bland, imo.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of the khakis. They really do fit differently from any other slacks I own. They seem as though they'll be too tight at first when pulling them on, then they even out, somehow. The thigh is tighter fit than other slacks (than I'm used to, anyway, for khakis), as is the seat, and the inseam is rather short too.

For me, they're a weekend-slack, as I don't feel I can wear such overtly boot-cut slacks to the office.

trailer36

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shasta
That's exciting! I believe they already have many straight leg non bootcut styles through, so are they expanding even further?

Really love the quality of their work, tell him to keep up the good work!

yes, my friend tells me the polos will be out soon so keep a look out. I am going up to visit him this weekend and hope to try on the swim trunks and see if i like them. with him doing the designing, i feel like good things will be coming as the company expands. He is very on touch with what their demographic wants in their clothing. Classic clothing with an updated fit. Hence the swim trunks that dont have an elastic band at the top so they billow out.

Duchemin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tommboy
Anyone ever buy any pants from Bonobos.com? How was the fit and quality? Would your recommend them?

I have three pairs of pants, two pairs of shorts and two pairs of swim trunks. I like the cut a lot including the flare it gives a nice long leg. I am 181 and 72 kg and have 30' waist. The fit is very good especially if your slim. The quality of the fabrics and linings and make is very good and the customer service is superb. I never get anything but compliments for my bonobos. I recommend them higly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads