Anyone to make shoes fit smaller?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by p00d, Sep 23, 2003.

1. p00d

p00d Member

I bought these casual docker shoes last year, worn them twice, haven't worn them since because it was a maybe
    .5 size too big.

too late to return, so I'm stuck to them. I don't want to just not wear them, because they look really good with chinos

is there anyways or something you can buy at the store to make the shoes fit better?

2. MPS

MPS Senior member

It is possible to make them fit narrower by gluing a piece of shaped foam under the tongue (I have seen this done). This may do the trick - take them along to a cobbler whom you trust.

You might also try wearing chunky socks.

3. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

THe padding under the tongue trick will work. You can also buy an inexpensive insole and put it in the shoe - that will make it fit tighter.

4. p00d

p00d Member

is there somehting you can add to the problem, i mea adding maybe inch in the front would do the trick

i've tried stuffing tissues...that didnt work, heh

5. iroh

iroh Senior member

so would it be recommend if given a choice, for example if you are in between sizes and there is no half size option to go down to a size smaller than to buy a size larger? because you can stretch out the shoe?

6. Golf_Nerd

Golf_Nerd Senior member

so would it be recommend if given a choice, for example if you are in between sizes and there is no half size option to go down to a size smaller than to buy a size larger? because you can stretch out the shoe?

A shoe which is one size bigger doesn't roll very good. To stretch leather isn't easy.

If it is not much I would try an insole. But with no fit I wouldn't wear a shoe.

7. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

shoes are made in 1/2 size increments for a reason, because every 1/2 size matters. the tongue padding might work but just biting the bullet and getting your size is better.

8. Saltwater Wrangler

Saltwater Wrangler Senior member

For a while I had a 1/2 size difference between my feet so I'd encounter this. I used a regular dr. scholl's foot insole trimmed down to size and I never had a problem. Thankfully I grew out of that stage. literally.

9. dl20

dl20 Senior member

Wear 4 pairs of socks

dl

10. johnny_flapjack

johnny_flapjack Senior member

I seem to remember hearing that Alden can size shoes down .5 during a recraft. That's an expensive way to go, and might not even be possible depending on the construction of the shoe. I'd only try that with a plain toe of some sort for fear half of any punched medalion would wind up tucked into the welt.

11. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

is there somehting you can add to the problem, i mea adding maybe inch in the front would do the trick

i've tried stuffing tissues...that didnt work, heh

Try some packing peanuts. Be sure not to use the foamed starch ones if you have sweaty feet.

12. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

Get a different shoe/size.