• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone think these are really cool?

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
That's actually a pretty sweet-looking bed. I wonder if it would tip over if things got...vigorous? I looked for NR's bed recommendation because I made the goof of saying thread instead of forum. It's actually got a pretty fat mattress displayed:
p_01.jpg
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
I, too, like the Moderno. It will probably be the first piece of furniture I buy from Kagura. I'll give you an attenuated translation of the offerings from the top down. [caption, top photo]:Tatami Bed "Not just a bedroom, but a space that transforms according to your preferred use and easily allows you present a characteristically Japanese setting." [types of wood]: C = American Black Cherry W = American Black Walnut M = Hard Maple O = Oak T= Teak [note: ideal for boat decks and outdoor furniture] A = Ash [note: ideal for baseball bats] WA = White Ash [second product]: Tatami Bed Modern (with headboard) (shown as a double in Walnut) [third product]: Tatami Bed Modern (without headboard) (shown as a double in White Ash [fourth product]: Bedroom Modern (bed) (shown as a single in White Ash) [note: this last one comes in the greatest variety of sizes; single, semi-double, double and queen. In addition, it is offered in wide sizes, long sizes, and long & wide sizes.]

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kagura makes some really nice stuff. I'd hate to think what the shipping charges from japan would add to the already high price though. ;p

I don't want to spend more than 4k as the absolute upper-limit on my bed, and it would have to be really spectacular for me to spend that much. I'd rather spend in the 2-3k range if I can help it though.

Btw, I'm guessing the mattress on that kagura bed is 10" thick. So add another 5-6 and you've got mine. Plus, my duvet is really puffy so that adds another couple inches. :p

sensay_bed_esp_main.jpg

The cool thing about this one is that the headboards are adjustable, so my thicker mattress wouldn't be such a big deal. It's not really what I'm looking for though so the search continues...

I also saw a really cool bed that "floats" off the ground, but it would need some serious wall-mouting and wouldn't really look right outside of an ultra-modern interior imo.

I guess you'll be shopping for furniture yourself soon, eh tom?

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quebec has a lot of highly skilled artisans and craftsmen. I think it would be best to get something made for you, so you can choose your own wood. That way, you can get something unique and timeless, instead of bought off of one of these souless yuppie websites. (HGTV has made me hate a lot of things).

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
Quebec has a lot of highly skilled artisans and craftsmen. I think it would be best to get something made for you, so you can choose your own wood. That way, you can get something unique and timeless, instead of bought off of one of these souless yuppie websites. (HGTV has made me hate a lot of things).
I was just about the write pretty much the same thing. It's a very sound idea.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1, you'll probably get a decent value as well that way, along with being able to design something in proportion with your freakish mattress.
lol8[1].gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist

Do you have any specific recs? I got a quote from one guy a couple months ago and it was basically in the 12-20k range for a bed, nightstands, and I think an armoire. Can't remember exactly and I lost a bunch of emails from back then, so i can't check what exactly it was for. I just remember that it was more than i wanted to spend. I suppose it's worth investigating a bit more though.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I guess you'll be shopping for furniture yourself soon, eh tom?
That bed would be really cool if it only had one backrest instead of two--no reason to be separating the girls from the boys in that setting!

I'm starting to look, but I think it's going to be about a year before I buy anything of my own. I want to get an unrenovated place and make it a perfect fit for me, so it's going to take a lot of planning, plus a lot of lifestyle analysis. It's a lot like clothing actually--taking the learning process slowly, but going to do it big when I finally do.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
There's so much cool stuff that I want on all these design sites... I find the name design within reach slightly ironic though, as some of the lamps on their site are 2.5k...

Everyone assumes that "design within reach" means that the items are affordable, but that was never the intent of the name. When the company launched, most design stores carried very little stock, meaning that you had to wait six weeks to six months or more for your item to arrive after you ordered it. With DWR, the idea was that all products would be stocked and available for immediate delivery -- thus "within reach."
teacha.gif

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woo man I want one of those Kagura beds. Maybe in another life
smile.gif

I think it would be best to get something made for you, so you can choose your own wood. That way, you can get something unique and timeless
That would be very nice. My friend has a coffee table made from an old engine cowling, there's nothing else like it.

(HGTV has made me hate a lot of things).
Agreed. I hate HGTV. Ugh.

JB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads