• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has had a trench coat tailored for a better fit. Mine fits well in the shoulders, but there is too much material at the waist. I'd like to have a slimmer fit, but wonder if it is worth the cost and effort. I have yet to find a "trim fit" trench coat. Mine has a zip-out lining, so I suspect the cost and effort may be more than expected. Has anyone tried this and what were the results?

Thanks!

Tropicalist

Reaction score
I have two - one in a mix of cashmere and mink and second in Bactrian camel hair. No need for a lining as they are warm enough to handle anything sub-polar. The big advantage is that you can wear your suit to the fittings and get the coat to fit and fall just right. Actually the whole question is somewhat limiting- if you can afford bespoke get everything bespoke. It is aways worth it. The question should be I can afford bespoke is it then ok to get off the shelf for selected items. In my experience socks and undergarments are quite reasonable off the shelf. For everything else if bespoke option is available it should be the default.

Xenon

Reaction score

Just curious if anyone has had a trench coat tailored for a better fit. Mine fits well in the shoulders, but there is too much material at the waist. I'd like to have a slimmer fit, but wonder if it is worth the cost and effort. I have yet to find a "trim fit" trench coat. Mine has a zip-out lining, so I suspect the cost and effort may be more than expected. Has anyone tried this and what were the results?
Thanks!

we are taking trench coat here not over coat.

I found a beautiful Aquascutum 100% coton trench coat in a gold bronze color that was simply spectacular. Unfortunately it was an ample 46 and I am a thin waisted 36. But it was almost 2/3 off, basically a steal. So I took to my favorite tailor and asked if he could reduce it by 10 sizes. He said he could and proceeded to mark it. A month later I tried it on and it was perfect. The tailor basically recut almost everything and all for $200:D.

It turned out so good that I bought a second identical trench coat which was the last remaining.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I found a beautiful Aquascutum 100% coton trench coat in a gold bronze color that was simply spectacular. Unfortunately it was an ample 46 and I am a thin waisted 36. But it was almost 2/3 off, basically a steal. So I took to my favorite tailor and asked if he could reduce it by 10 sizes. He said he could and proceeded to mark it. A month later I tried it on and it was perfect. The tailor basically recut almost everything and all for $200:D.
It turned out so good that I bought a second identical trench coat which was the last remaining.

Then you got very lucky, and should be thankful. Generally speaking, asking a tailor to completely recut something is a recipe for an expensive disaster.

Taking the waist in, however, should be fine.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't, but if you really like it, I'd consider it. I'm sure that it will turn out fine. I didn't own any trench coats that I thought were worth paying to save, so I just started from scratch.

guymac12

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It would be such a waste to try and tailor a trench coat to alter the fit, especially at the shoulder area. That is why it is important to carefully choose the coat specifically for your measurements.

Dib

Reaction score

Then you got very lucky, and should be thankful. Generally speaking, asking a tailor to completely recut something is a recipe for an expensive disaster.
Taking the waist in, however, should be fine.

+1

In the instances I have altered items which are one or two sizes too big, they ended-up not looking great. I've had a trenchcoat taken in slightly from the waist and that turned out absolutely fine.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just curious if anyone has had a trench coat tailored for a better fit. Mine fits well in the shoulders, but there is too much material at the waist.
Thanks!

There is a reason they come with belts. Use the belt

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is a reason they come with belts. Use the belt

You mean like, actually buckle the belt at the front? - and not just leave it dangling at the back?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of how a trench is supposed to cinch up at your waist

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have two - one in a mix of cashmere and mink and second in Bactrian camel hair. No need for a lining as they are warm enough to handle anything sub-polar. The big advantage is that you can wear your suit to the fittings and get the coat to fit and fall just right. Actually the whole question is somewhat limiting- if you can afford bespoke get everything bespoke. It is aways worth it. The question should be I can afford bespoke is it then ok to get off the shelf for selected items. In my experience socks and undergarments are quite reasonable off the shelf. For everything else if bespoke option is available it should be the default.

None should wear a trench coat

Some truly asinine posts here.

nobody is talking about bespoke. secondly, trench coats are ubiquitous for good reason. Have fun with your overcoat in 55 degree weather.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

None should wear a trench coat

WTF are you talking about? Every gentleman should own a trench coat for rainy, chilly fall weather like today in Philly.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you can tailor it for minor adjustments. To the guy that had a jacket tailored 10 sizes, I award you no points.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
it is more work to alter a trench coat then a overcoat.
different seams.
usually trench coats are finished ona double needle machine . tailors do not own this sort of machine so to approximate the seams will take more time

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads