• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone speak more than two languages

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've spoken French and English since learning to talk. I also speak Hebrew fluently so that's three - and I'm not European. I can get by in Spanish but need to brush up.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
To me, "fluent" means effectively native speaker level. Perhaps other people are using different definitions of fluent, such as "can communicate effectively and be widely understood".

I think that might be how "fluent" is currently being used these days. Perhaps a little more advanced than "can communicate effectively", like "can read, write, and speak to a master level". Lately I've seen "native" used as a level implying complete or near complete knowledge of cultural aspects of a language, even by people who are obviously not native speakers.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
English, Gaelic, and butchered Spanish.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
English, a little Korean and a little Japanese.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
English (native language), fluent Hebrew (read, write, speak), proficient reading knowledge of Ancient Greek and Latin (not as strong as Greek), high school French (could still get by in a taxi, in a pinch), learning Italian. Reading knowledge of a couple ancient semitic languages (but again not as strong as Greek).

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
English and Mandarin with rusty French on the side. I have some Hebrew skills and studied Russian off and on.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rarely one meets an old white person who can speak Shanghai-nese. These are usually Jews who were born in Shanghai during the '30s.

There was a large influx of European Jews to Shanghai during the '30s because China was one of the few countries, apparently, that had a lax immigration policy for Jews.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Being Norwegian, I also understand Swedish and Danish quite well, the Scandinavian languages are quite close.

Most Scandinavians are supposedly quite fluent in English. Much of the reason for this is that the Scandiavian languages are too small to have television and films dubbed, so you get the original languages, with subtitles in your own. Portugal, for example, has the same situation WRT dubbing, apparently, whereas Germany/France/Italy/Spain does not. The Portuguese generally speak English very well, the Spanish, not so much.

Also, I speak some German and a very little French.

Isn't Swedish very close to English in that that it is Germanic language and it has very large English(French) vocabulary?
I always find English words among written Swedish.

I have heard that Hungarian and Danish are among the hardests to master.

skyman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Isn't Swedish very close to English in that that it is Germanic language and it has very large English(French) vocabulary?
I always find English words among written Swedish.

I have heard that Hungarian and Danish are among the hardests to master.

Swedish is similar to English in the same way that a rock is similar to cheese,

I speak English, Welsh, and French.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Rarely one meets an old white person who can speak Shanghai-nese. These are usually Jews who were born in Shanghai during the '30s.

There was a large influx of European Jews to Shanghai during the '30s because China was one of the few countries, apparently, that had a lax immigration policy for Jews.

Not to be confused with Jewish Chinese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaifeng_Jews

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have the oppurtunity to learn Chinese in school. Might try it.

Orpheus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skyman
Swedish is similar to English in the same way that a rock is similar to cheese,

This is wrong.

I speak English and have a nice hold on French if not "fluent". Was taught in high school and am still a little intimidated by how quickly the French speak. Am lightweight.

skyman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orpheus
This is wrong.

I speak English and have a nice hold on French if not "fluent". Was taught in high school and am still a little intimidated by how quickly the French speak. Am lightweight.

Wut?
eh.gif

I said swedish not french?
Plus I know people who speak Swedish, know a few lines and it is very different from English. Although alot of English is derived from French.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
English, French, Vietnamese.

Except I suck at two of them, would like to pick up another but I want to be more proficient in French before I do.

Orpheus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skyman
Wut?
eh.gif

I said swedish not french?
Plus I know people who speak Swedish, know a few lines and it is very different from English. Although alot of English is derived from French.

Genetically, both English and Swedish are Germanic languages, so they are more "related" than English and French - though English has many, many loan words from French, French is actually a daughter language of Latin, whereas English is not. So from a linguistic perspective English is similar to Swedish.

Sorry for being snobby, linguistics has always interested me.
bigstar[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads