• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone remember shopping at Structure in the 90s?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47

That said, if they can lean out the balance sheet, get some free cash to really 'tune up the model' as we say, I think they can bounce back.

Well, as many mall properties as have entered bankruptcy, maybe they get get some cheaper leases.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So far as I know, it was always Express. They were always next to Express stores and you could pass between the two stores. Now they're Express men.

I still have, and even wear, some of their stuff. I had two white linen shirts that I wore all the time... they were baggy and oversized as hell, but it wasn't til I hit SF that I really became too embarrassed to wear them and retired them... but they're still getting use as sleep shirts for my gf. I had some linen pants from there that I think I have somewhere in a pile of stuff to give away because they don't fit anymore. And I do have a belt I still wear from there.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Structure seems to be a strong source of belts.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Well, as many mall properties as have entered bankruptcy, maybe they get get some cheaper leases.

I would have to imagine that they would use the bankruptcy process to renegotiate or discharge any unfavorable leases

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In the 90's I was too cool/big time for Structure. By '91, already had my first big time job, mail room clerk on Wall Street. Perry Ellis suits, Giorgio Brutini shoes, random italian maker ties from Century 21 (from the $9.97 rack), custom shirts from Mohan's in NY ($40-50 a pop, made somewhere in India). I was so money.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
I have a fond memory of a former GF buying me a bunch of pull over sweaters, turtleneck shirts, and a zip up sweater at Structure one afternoon. Think I also still have at least one button down shirt that I picked up on my own. Given that I live where it's fairly warm year round, I don't have as much opportunity to wear the former anymore, but they seem like well-made garments.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
It was similar to two man ********** iirc.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I had a few shirts or shorts from there, but in high school that stuff was considered 'too expensive' so I just kept wearing my rags.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
In the 90's I was too cool/big time for Structure. By '91, already had my first big time job, mail room clerk on Wall Street. Perry Ellis suits, Giorgio Brutini shoes, random italian maker ties from Century 21 (from the $9.97 rack), custom shirts from Mohan's in NY ($40-50 a pop, made somewhere in India). I was so money.

How have you done with your Giorgio Brutini glue jobs? I hope you bought some of their reptile skin stuff. They specialized in "affordable" exotics as I recall
laugh.gif
I've posted pictures of my pre-SF Kenneth Coles and other glue jobs like Aldos ( which have all fallen apart ). I hope you've had better luck with your GBs.

As to Structure stuff, I still have a few tops left. I guess they will last for a long time since I don't wear them anymore. They were OK for what they were. If I can find then, I'll give them away.

unexpected

Reaction score
I was too young when structure changed to Express Men, but have always wondered something that was touched on earlier...

What was structure's "target audience"? What were they trying to be? Why did they change to Express Men?

To my uneducated 14-year-old eye, it seemed that Structure and Express Men were the same thing....

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unexpected
I was too young when structure changed to Express Men, but have always wondered something that was touched on earlier...

What was structure's "target audience"? What were they trying to be? Why did they change to Express Men?

To my uneducated 14-year-old eye, it seemed that Structure and Express Men were the same thing....

It was more of an evolution. Structure had jeans and buttondowns in the mid 90's, but they also had 'work wear' black pants, ties, etc... , as the trend changed to more 'clubby/business casual', they started making it more and more the mix. this was starting to sync up more with what express was selling for women, so I guess to keep the brand image the same, they decided to make the change. Plus it cut down on staffing, real estate costs, advertising costs, so it wound up being a good deal for them.

flashback

Reaction score
^while they were going through the transition, I think they realized that their real brand equity was in Express and the associations that it carried with it, as opposed to the Structure brand which had picked-up some negative (or just old, in-line with their 90's era style) associations. They also maybe aimed to target women shopping for men as opposed to men shopping for men, and women would be more likely to patronize a store that they already knew and shopped at themselves. This is just my speculation though.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I had a structure credit card years ago. I remember I bought a bright orange down vest from them and wore it on new years 2000. Insane...

inq89

Reaction score
I vaguley remember Structure, but my brother still has a few things from them. I have a pair of cargo shorts and a leather belt from Express Men right after they made the brand switch (this was in early high school for me, before I knew better about cargo shorts...) I also remember when all the teen stores like Hollister, AF, AE, Old Navy, etc. were actually cool places to shop at.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads